Search Unity

Question Imported FBX model displays no textures

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by surfrowen, Sep 29, 2022.

1. surfrowen

surfrowen

I purchased a 3d character model from an online marketplace, the download options showed a "unity.rar" file which extracted a unity.fbx and a unity.json file. The download options also had a "textures.rar" file which extracts a folder containing the .jpg and .png files for the character. inside my unity project's assets folder i created a "models" subfolder inside which i copied the .fbx and the .json files, and inside that folder i nested the "textures" folder containing the character textures.

Inside unity, i can place the character inside my scene but the entire model is white. What do i need to do with the 3 files supplied with the model to get the materials/textures to apply to the character model in my unity scene?

Thank you!

2. bastien_humeau

bastien_humeau

Unity Technologies

Hey there,
    I'm not sure what that .json file is for, Unity doesn't use that type of extension during an fbx import.
    Regarding your model, extracting it in a folder, and having the Textures in a subfolder named Textures is usually the right way to do it.

Inside Unity, you can first try to verify your import settings on the ModelImporter.
    Select your asset, then in the inspector click on the Material panel and make sure that it's configured to "Import Materials" and Location is set to "Use Embedded Materials". They are the default settings and should find any textures in the Textures folder if the fbx file references them.

If that's not working, one of the first things I always try is what does it look like in the FBXViewer from Autodesk? If it doesn't display the textures either, then maybe the FBX file wasn't created with the texture linked correctly.
    At that point you have two choices:
    - Open the FBX file in a DCC like Maya, 3DsMax, or Blender, fix the textures, and export it back to FBX.
    - Create your materials manually in Unity, settup them up with the textures, and link them in the Material panel in the inspector of your asset, inside of the Remapped Materials section. The importer will then just use your local materials instead of trying to figure them out from the fbx file.