Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback *Important-Suggestion* Unity Accounts : Add Secondary Email as Backup Account Login.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profuzzy, Jul 13, 2023.

1. profuzzy

profuzzy

Very Important Suggestion:

Hello,
    Google and MS have been known to hard-lock email accounts (and without a reason that anyone in their support teams or general mgmt at either company can explain). I have seen accounts get locked in real time for no reason.
    Example: one person was exporting their contact list, when google locked the account right in front of our eyes.
    It's been locked since, we were never able to retrieve it no matter the effort (even hand writing to Legal through an attorney in effort to get the account back). Their support staffs couldn't help, retrieval system looped in errors. He is a 70+ yr old man who had the account for 12 years and only used it for business. This decimated him and hurt his business. I have many other examples similar to this that I could share.

I'd say more than half of the time, these accounts are simply gone forever, unable to be retrieved.
    - Multiple support teams can't help
    - Inside acquaintance contacts can't help.
    - Friends who work at these companies in MGMT positions, can't help.
    - The retrieval systems are often broken and there's no rhyme-reason to it. I've tried to retrieve that account for that man I mentioned, each year for the last 5 years (email, calls, retrieval system,.. all still fail.)
    Google support had added me as a contact on this locked account, and his year they sent me an email to tell me that his account would be deleted if not used. *Infuriating is an understatement.*
    The accounts are gone, no one can explain why, and people are stuck in a dumpster fire.

What's my point?

Please provide an option for users to provide a secondary email account for login access.
    If one email account is ever lost, then the user can access their account via the other email. Once logged in, they can adjust their Email-Accounts on their Unity-User Account, as necessary in defense of it ever happening again.

This is one of those problems that you might think isn't a problem,
    until it becomes a problem for you,
    but then it's too late.

Thank You
    I look forward to seeing this become a reality as we're in strange times with how Google and MS are treating people who entrust Google and MS with their livelihoods.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Great idea. Posting it in general is like throwing it to the wind however.

I recommend actually get in contact with unity rather than post this in the section of the forums that is for general discussion (and as such unlikely to go noticed by anyone with any power to raise this internally)

profuzzy likes this.
  3. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

It is kinda dumb to base your livelihood on a permanently FREE service if you ask me... (Unity is not free anymore once you have success with it and more a product than a service).
    A custom domain with email service is cheap and also gives your business a way better look.

The point of the post is still not a bad one. Some recovery option is always a good idea.

profuzzy likes this.
  4. profuzzy

profuzzy

Thx you two.
    I agree that basing your livelihood on a service like that is a mistake but I don't want to judge why anyone chooses what they do, I prefer to focus on a common sense resolve that provides reassurance of account safety to all users.

About this being in General Discussion;
    Heh, I spent 10 minutes trying to decipher the best forum to write this and I wasn't happy about posting this to GenDisc but it felt misplaced in the other sections.
    *To be fair, I only expect corporations to willingly accept feedback from approved beta users that get access to a private discussion space with the dev teams/mgmt/leads.

Nevertheless, I'll persist on this as I think it's common ground for all involved.

5. profuzzy

profuzzy

Bump @ Unity

6. crazBullet

crazBullet

many bumps on this !!!!

7. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

I don't understand why you would need a different login e-mail address. As long as you use 2FA, you don't ever need access to whatever e-mail address you use for the login process.

8. stain2319

stain2319

What if you need a password reset?

9. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

Relying on your e-mail address for a password reset is a very unsecure option. Use a password manager and make sure you have a back-up of all your passwords. Generally I would prefer to disable e-mail password reset links.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nice save.

It is dumb to base your livelihood on a service that is outside of your control, the "FREE" qualifier doesn't really factor in.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

that's why I live in a cave and catch my own bugs for dinner.

12. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Well, with that mindset you'd have it really hard as a game dev ._.'
    Even in open source like Godot it's beyond your control what all the other contributers do... But let's beter not drag that debate in here, I'd say.

13. Stardog

Stardog

Most of these large companies have useless/broken account login/reset/etc processes. Their code doesn't handle every possible case. They'll never notice when something goes wrong, because there will be no way to report it.

That includes who Unity uses for bug reporting (Atlassian). If you had an Atlassian account using a google login, you won't be able to see any bug report.

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, but when you make an exception (maybe it's your birthday) and go somewhere to get food, don't rely on free food, rely on free food that has a goofy splash screen, unless you make 100k or more in which case it isn't free any more, and that you can't really eat at the same table with people with different tiers of food than you, because CLEARLY, that's better than relying on free food like some sort of sucker.

Or maybe we shouldn't make silly distinctions like that.

And by the way, Gmail also has a ton of paid tiers and isn't really free, so the distinction is even sillier

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  15. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

so long as i have a belly full of beetles i'm happy

AcidArrow likes this.
  16. neginfinity

neginfinity

The minor difference is that unity is not food, you can't eat it and won't die without it.

Although if anyone managed to eat unity engine for dinner, please film it and post it on youtube. Mankind has to see it.

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

I see we've reached the natural endpoint of WORKSFORME WONTFIX absurdist posting.

neginfinity likes this.
  18. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Luckily a year ago or more I transferred most accounts, including my Unity account, to a less "safe 2fa" email account.

I decided to try and access my gmail account after moving, and not using for many months. It is impossible. It insists on 2fa via phone number i have not had for over a year, and for three months i had no cell/text number at all.

It will not allow me to use backup email for 2fa, even though it is sending me emails warning me of a "critical security" message, that "somebody", (me), was trying to access my email using *gasp* the password.

Also lost my youtube because of this. But that is ok, because 13 or 14 years ago, a couple of my videos reached 100,000+ views in a couple months, and Google asked me to monetize, i didnt want ads interrupting my art, so I said "no".

A couple years ago, Youtube decided they would put ads in my art, and not pay me anyway... ..and now, I have no way to tell them to stop, except maybe a cease and desist.

They literally removed their motto "Don't be evil"

/Rant

19. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

While you are right, the paid alternatives are from the same or similar corporations and suffer from the same volatility.

Go on Google Ads web communities and you'll find people asking for help for accounts being suspended for no apparent reasons despite spending absurd amounts of money.

Paying for a custom domain is good practice on a commercial level but it won't solve the "locked out of your account" issue.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
  20. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Maybe.. I only know that the web domain (our name) and mail adress my father acquired about 18 years ago as a private person is still working flawlessly. Backend being a medium sized internet provider.

21. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I could say the same about my old Hotmail address.

Longevity have more to do with luck that you haven't been crushed by a corporation than being a paid customer.

I can show and example of that with my 3DsMax perpetual licence that Autodesk refuses to activate. I paid them a lot more than I ever did to host Emails and they still locked me out of my purchase because they can get away with refusing to fill their part of the contract.

Ne0mega likes this.
  22. neginfinity

neginfinity

In situation when you host your own domain, longevity of your mailbox depends entirely on your ability to pay or host your own mail server. Basically, in this situation a corporation hosting your mail will not be on google level, but several orders of magnitude lower. A VPS hosting company, general purpose hosting company, and so on. Those are people you would be able to sue if you have to, but in general matter of access should be solvable with an ID. Meanwhile, if your box belongs to google, google can screw you over and you'll be able to do nothing. Because compared to google you're insignificant, as google got infinite money and its lawyer is satan himself.

So, when you own mailbox domain, if you're unhappy with the hosting, you can migrate and can keep migrating as long as you have to. Worst case scenario you can self-host, I believe these days this can be done with Raspberry PI/Orange PI or comparable device, just plug a HDD into it for more storage.

That's basically one of the reasons why people recommend to use your own domain.

However despite that people using google for serious purposes (even though some believe they shouldn't be doing that) will continue to exist. And it is not a good idea to dismiss their issues.

DragonCoder likes this.