Search Unity

Important! In the assetstore stolen models!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

I have to assume that it was just presumption of innocence.

not really going no where really... at least we have some heads up that some assets on asset store are not clean and we have to be more careful in buying them...

chelnok and Deleted User like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe I was wrong, because English is not my native language =)

That's what I want

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's a constant trickle of illegal pirated materials on asset store, which is just another reason not to use asset store without first verifying the model's legitimacy unfortunately.

I don't think it's a bad idea that people discuss these things so I'm taking no action. But you should use the report button on the asset store for materials that appear stolen.

Ultimately, Unity protects itself legally and makes it all the responsibility of the authors. I'm done here because I don't see anything that reaches my standards on with how the Asset Store is managed and therefore I am not impartial and will bow out, sorry.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I complain and bring the proof. But assetstore need a legitimate right-holders.
    I write to the copyright holders, they answer me and that's it. Models and further are sold =(
    2018-10-07_182957.jpg 2018-10-07_183309.jpg
    Text translation

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting us!

Thank you for sending us the link. We accepted Your information and sent it to the development team!

Thanks to such dedicated and enthusiastic players like You, we can keep order.

If you would like to send us any other comments regarding Spec Ops: The Line, please contact us again, We will be happy to hear from you!

My best regards,

Mariia B.
    2K Support

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Report to the relevant parties, move on. It's their property and rights, they'll take action if they want to in their own time. No one else has a place trying to poke their nose in.

If you own a license to a product you think is stolen or sold illegally then don't use that license. Protect yourself as best you can and move on.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Your problem is that you want action immediately. You won't get any. Legal stuff does not work like that, you will learn it with time. They are listening, they will take action if they feel it, what else do you want? It's their product, if they don't want to take action, they won't, then what? You will throw yourself to the ground and cry?
    It's their decision, not yours, if they don't take action ever, people who use this model can get away with it, maybe it does not worth it for the company to take it down, maybe they just don't care anymore.
    Who knows. Not you, and shouldn't be you. Just move on.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I understand that this is not all happening so quickly. I'm not rushing anyone
    Just wanna warn people

8. chelnok

chelnok

I wasn't defending a cheater. I was pointing out, he might not be a cheater. He could have been original modeller. However, as @Mauri and you pointed out more proof, it really looks shady.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Especially if the company has to pursue the matter in a country other than their own. If they're even able to do so as some countries don't have the necessary legal structure to support a takedown notice. Just because you know about it and want to take action doesn't mean you necessarily can take action.

https://theipexporter.com/2013/03/2...tanding-foreign-takedown-notice-requirements/
    https://theipexporter.com/2015/06/16/a-breakdown-of-russias-new-notice-and-takedown-legislation/

Besides it's not like taking it down is a one-off process. Bringing the site down is a lengthy process but what's not a lengthy process is starting up a site with a new hosting provider and pirates are very much familiar with moving from host to host in an efficient manner.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If it was me I would only ever have verified assets on asset store. There would be a legal agreement in place that allows Unity to press charges for damage to the Asset Store's image among other factors. Also I would completely disallow any sellers living in countries where there is no clear legal access.

This is to protect Unity's reputation and protect other sellers and protect customers. But they don't do that. So I've registered my discontent with that.

I find it absurd I would walk into my local supermarket and have to check every single product wasn't stolen first. Unity needs to work for that 30%.

I'm one of Unity's biggest supporters, that's why I make posts like this.

truefx001, chelnok, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  11. But you're doing it wrong. You call everyone cheater and scammer(!) who you feel. It's not warning people, it's accusation and without knowing any FACTs.
    You SUSPECT that these are copies straight from the games, but you do not know for sure.
    If you were like

"Well, here are these assets, they may be illegal because of A, B and C, be careful people when and if you buy it"

I would tell you keep up the good work, because you have suspicion and you have something, but you don't "just warn people", you're damaging other people's (may or may not legitimate) business. The important thing is: you're throwing around these things (thief, scammer, cheater) too easily without any hard evidence.

You're not serving people, you're just letting out the anger.

:drop mic:

@hippocoder yes. This. But this is a different conversation, and a really needed one, instead of the current witch-hunt.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

@LurkingNinjaDev
    I do not call "all" scammers, I call those who scam.
    Yes, that's right, I blame them for being scammers!

I confirm that these copies are from the games, I argue it, and provide evidence.

If they are not fraudsters, then let them come here and refute my evidence and my accusations!

I will continue to call scammers, scammers!

13. The thing is, you're not a prosecutor and this is not a court.

You're just an angry man with serious issues. This will be my last answer to you, because I will just write this off as a lost cause. But one last time: try to find some other way to release the steam, please, and try to stay constructive, you never know what kind of legal contracts are in the background, you would be surprised sometimes.

What you're doing is wrong. Over and out.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not angry.. What makes you think that? =)
    I just treat fraudsters as fraudsters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

what you really need to do is keep reporting any suspicious assets to unity technology team (you should find it in the asset store page, but maybe you already did) and let ut team work the rest.
    you can also post them here (after you report them) to give people some heads up, but maybe you should 'tag' the asset owner (they usually have the same forum account name) to give them chance defend their self...

well if it turns out that the assets I bought from asset store, that I used in my already released game, is actually stolen asset, then I think I have right to be angry...

truefx001 likes this.
  16. ceebeee

ceebeee

I don't understand how textures work? You think it's ok to steal copyrighted images from 'the NET"?
    LOL I've been a graphic professional for nearly 20 years. I had to stop reading there. You're so wrong it's not funny.

17. ceebeee

ceebeee

Here's all the proof I need. I downloaded the model from the Russian site, which clearly states it's from Splinter Cell:

And here is the texture preview off the Asset store listing:

No way it's the same model! (not) Yet it has the exact same texture with the exact same UV layout. Amazing coincidence.

18. recon0303

recon0303

So did you read a word I said in any post...Did you?? stop acting like a child.. You know what I said if you even bothered you read it. because clearly this is baiting people.. take it to Unity or just STOP putting words in my mouth and anyone else, that knows better.... Because that is all your doing now....READ sir...

19. recon0303

recon0303

So you have one texture and you think that is the same.....You sir can't say this...you ARE NOT THE OWNER, wow...This is crazy, I bet this is why unity did nothing, EA has DONE nothing........if you did this for 20 years, you should know better if you actually worked for a company, because guess what its in your contract... You can say this if you are the OWNER...period!! you are NOT. .if you can't see the difference, then I cant help understand you can't call someone a THIEF... with out The Owner of the model, and then Unity dealing with the OWNER.,..If...its stolen, and its a chance it can be, as I said many times.....You or I are in NO position to call anyone a thief, or a item STOLEN, you do not OWN the model nor have it.... its not yours..

PS, still wasting time, and refusing to contact the OWNERS........... its clear you have no intention.. please stop baiting, and spamming. this post just needs to be locked. its going no where. in my opinion. Others have agreed, that actually do this every day.. for a living. when your dealing with this kind of stuff.... We tried to help the OP and some of you others, that just don't understand and they make your selves look silly when saying, words we are not......

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  20. ceebeee

ceebeee

You don't have to own something to tell it's the same. You just need eyes. The way you defend this guy, Maybe you are the guy? or a friend of his? Why is it so important to you to protect this thief? It's very suspicious.

Deleted User and bart_the_13th like this.
  21. ceebeee

ceebeee

I read enough, and I'll quote your exact words, again:
    This is 100% false. Every image is owned and copyrighted by it's creator, whether it's on the net or not. You CAN NOT just use them without permission. It is indeed illegal.

And really that has ZERO to do with this. He didn't use an image. He stole a model and the textures from Splinter Cell, put them on the unity store and is selling them. If you can't get this simple concept, there is something wrong with you.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've had to lock the thread because there's no maturity. Please contact Unity support, passing on the URL of this thread, thanks.

ceebeee likes this.
  23. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

To follow proper legal procedure, we need the owner of this product to visit our Copyright page and fill out a DMCA Takedown form against the product.

https://unity3d.com/legal/copyright-policy

If you are not the owner of this product, but know who the owner is, feel free to message them about this issue and have them fill out the DMCA Takedown form mentioned above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.