Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Important! In the assetstore stolen models!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Found models from games that are sold. Complained, but I was rejected... like I'm not the author of models
    I wrote to the developers, but it also did not help

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/land/scooter-hq-121026
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/land/humvee-customizable-121771

proof
    SCB_Prop_Scooter_01.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

This author has all the models stolen! Only according to my complaints, it was removed from a dozen stolen models
    But he keeps stealing...

List of scams

Indie_G | Proof, proof, proof
    PolyLab | Proof, proof, proof
    BoomStudio | Proof, proof

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Press the Report button and report it for copyright infringement.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

It did not help
    I provided proofs, but it was not interesting.
    2018-10-03_220252.jpg

4. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Is it possible that the game using these models actually purchased them from the INDIE_G?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do you think Ubisoft and 2k will buy INDIE_G models?
    Splinter cell blacklist year of release 2013
    Spec Ops The Line release year 2012
    Both are made on UE3

Author https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aGLz

6. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Your original post didn't mention where you saw them. I know of some indie developers that used purchased assets and were accused of stealing them because some people saw them in other games.

In your examples, however, they definitely sound like they were stolen. This adds an additional problem for some indie developer buying these and then using them in a game only to find out one of these companies turns around to sue them. Unity definitely should look at removing these.

bart_the_13th likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

On images written
    Here is for this I this post and wrote! So people don't give their money for stolen models. Because of which then there may be problems.

8. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Thanks. I missed that.

Hopefully a Mod or Unity Staff member will notice your post.

9. recon0303

recon0303

not saying its not stolen, but as someone who makes 3d models professionally, there is a difference in the scooter. but I would need to see both up close, wire frames, maps etc. they look alike, but I see different edges and such, but they may have used a different kinds of maps as well. So not saying your wrong here. I have seen some people use models.. and make changes though, or texture change color. so you could be right.. Its worth looking into, I would agree. I also do see many people doing what your saying, and I completely disagree with that kind of behavior, nor tolerate it. Unity should have someone that is a 3d modeler, take a look at them...to be sure.

But not surprised, Unity is not taking it seriously...if that was my art, I would be going after that person or company, legally.. its shameful...but I hate making claims, as I see people making claims all the time, when people COPY art.. which is allowed.. as long as they made it. Look at the rim, and spoke area of the tire and rim, they look different to me, but it is hard to tell for sure, with out seeing the actually model and wire frames and map. the back side also edges look different but they an be due to maps he used. the shock/spring is also different. But....I agree Unity should look at either way...... just to be safe.. this is not a stolen model.

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Please, you can take a look at these models.
    I suspect he takes them from this site
    https://p3dm.ru/files/auto/military_equipment/6521-humvee-.html
    https://p3dm.ru/files/auto/motorcycles/5242-dirty-scooter-.html

11. Mauri

Mauri

It's not about Unity not being interested. The moment you report something for copyright violation, it becomes a legal matter. As advised, you (or the actual owner of the original asset) should fill out that DMCA Takedown form.

Now, the problem is that the site you've linked to is sketchy as hell. (Pro tip: Hover over the flag icon and choose "Английский" to change the site's language to English). Apparently, users can upload ripped models from games and anyone can download them. For example, that "Dirty scooter" model belongs to Ubisoft - it was originally made for the 2013 game "Splinter Cell: Blacklist".

Whoever created these models should file a DMCA Takedown request for both that site and the Asset Store user.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

I reported similar set of models. I contacted both Unity and the owner of the assets being resold (contacted numerous times). Both did not reply.
    I included proofs of the similarities between the original models and the resold models. They were exactly the same (positioning of the vertices were exact).
    Buyers beware: if you see detailed and complex models being sold for very cheap, it's possible, they are stolen.
    Unity asset store admin: you need to do something! You need to reply to our email when we report something suspicious like a stolen asset.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

14. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

If its ordinary scooter, then it can have accidentally similar design, but the scooter in the picture is customized design amd it should be unique to the original game. also, the only difference I see is color tone, but the texture details are similar :)

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

17. recon0303

recon0303

I'm not looking at design. i'm looking at silhouette, edges, and more, something, I been doing for over 12 years. for a living, so that is the kind of stuff, I look at. but like I said, if we seen the actually model up closer it would be easier, but by what I can see, it is different , the actually MODEL... Which models can be remodeled..That is not stealing. and common when it is a common, type of building, car, Scooter, just saying its clear they are different in those regards. I still think it should be looked at to be sure.... Regardless, I would have it looked at to be sure. there isn't a problem....but those are there are related to the model.. itself. textures can be reused, but the ones used in the asset seem very poor, compared to the actually artist. now some of them texture itself, could be the same. on the Humvee. but all of the maps, no . they are different. This is why Unity should review it. but they would also need the owner to submit or help, prove is disprove, if it is, the same MODEL or not.

But when someone makes an Ordinary object, or what ever. that is in every day life.. or anything in another game, SOMEONE can copy it, and that is NOT considered stealing. Some of it is frowned upon, and I personally don't care for it, but as I said, some of it can't be helped, if you are doing a M16, they all will look alike. model wise.. silhouette wise..

lets hope Unity looks into it, just to be sure. :) I hate saying otherwise.... I'm just going off, what I have as evidence .. /cheers

@suslik90

PS, some of the ones, you are showing above, the silhouette , for sure, looks pretty damn near.. the same one. The post above me. look like good chance stolen, but as a professional, you need to have a experienced 3d modeler, review both models...very closely to be 100% sure.. but those , I would, be looking at, for sure as those look like the same models.. and would agree. .....but I have seen people do this to someone with a great rep, to find out, they where not. So lets me sure and hope Unity checks them properly.... You have better evidence here though with the new posts above. I won't ever call something STOLEN, until its been gone through, it should be investigated...for sure.. If I had them I would look myself, but I don't ... So I really, hope Unity looks at this ......right away... they need to.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  18. recon0303

recon0303

ya the new ones looked at be stolen, the scooter, does look different . all of the others, look nearly spot on.. They need to be looked at. but Unity has to do something, but I believe the OWNER needs to come forward...I suggest reporting this to the company that owns them and the artist who made them..... otherwise I don't believe Unity will do much.

as a professionally artist, I would never sell that cheap. that type of work, is time consuming. and no offense very few, artist I seen in Unity asset store can make this stuff... I have to fix many clients work due to things they bought..so SOME of other models, look to be , but a known artist. and company. Battlefield, Ubisoft. I used to work for EA, but not related to Dice, otherwise, I could report it over there. so I do suggest you do so....to let them know. I'm surprised, they don't have people watching Unity asset store.. or Unreal,or any other, I know companies I use to work for , would watch these sites for stolen models , textures , animations and so on.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

They do not want to check...
    These models are 100% stolen
    Hundreds of matches(scratches, dirt, similar items, etc)

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

21. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

Or he actually ripped lower LOD model... if you look carefully at the texture details it has the same patterns although at different color tone (my wild uneducated guess is shader difference but he may also changed it by altering hsv value)

upload_2018-10-6_22-31-13.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I believe that there is no point in arguing... The difference is that the first model was rendered by the author( professional), and the thief who stole, even a beautiful render is not able to do

bart_the_13th likes this.
  23. ceebeee

ceebeee

This is really a big problem, because as a developer i'm relying on Unity to ensure the things I buy in their asset store are not going to get me into legal trouble. But if I were to buy these stolen items, *I* would be liable once I publish them in my games.

It really makes me less trusting that Unity is curating their content like they should be.

And for the record, as a modeler it's pretty clear those two scooters are 100% identical. there's not a single polygon of difference. You can't go by the fact they removed the normal map from theirs.

24. recon0303

recon0303

The issue is though, many people SAY such and such stole there stuff.... Well what needs to HAPPEN, and Unity will look into it..They NEED the Owner...to come forward and talk to Unity about it..I already told the OP did do so, and he seems to not want to. he already has been told Unity cant do anything... by LOOKING at a model.. They need the OWNER of the model that was made...and the one from the store..they have access to the one on the store..but they DO NOT have access to the other way... people keep talking about textures...

You clearly are not understanding now textures work....Someone CAN take a texture, from the NET...and use parts of it and reuse as there own..that is not illegal. this is done. I'm sure MANY are stolen, but ...I'm a professional..and can't say 100% that its stolen WITH OUT the evidence of the OWNER model, Unity can't either... So if you think Battlefield 4 model was used....I already said, FIND the company who made it, report it to there department, they do have a legal team, I know I worked at EA before... have them contact DICE as well, and the person who made the work...but EA, and Dice own the model.. and have them talk to Unity...that is all that can be done if they care about it...if not, nothing you can do.. I for one, think it is, stolen, but I can't say 100% and no one can..... I have heard this before, and found out, models where NOT stolen and it ruined the artist who was selling stuff, which is also unfair....again, I think it is. looks like it, but there are STEPS to take...to be sure .... and you cant say BY a texture..

The Scooter is NOT the same model.. nothing to do with texture.,. if you understand what a professional 3d modeler would say..if not, I can't help you. but again, I repeat Contact EA and Dice's Legal team.......you can google it. good luck.

PS. I don't condone, stolen art, or using parts of textures....but I do know the law and polices of this industry... Unity also has there own rules.. So I suggest if Unity is not doing anything, I bet its because you are ONLY showing them, what you shown us here..which means next to nothing...WITH OUT the COMPANY or Owner who made the "REAL ONES"

I care about fairness for all. so follow the proper policies and steps.. if you want something done.. public shaming, only will do so much.. I can go over 35% of games out there and say, they stole something from companies I worked for..but they didn't..as many textures, models look close to ones I made, companies I did work for as well...

So to be sure, they get looked at, and if in fact if they are stolen, that person is banned. and possible legal actions could happen, if the Owner chooses to, ( not giving legal advice as I'm in no position to....)

25. recon0303

recon0303

Look at the scooter... tire and seat area .Now the rest of the ones he posted I would agree...

, the edges are not the same on the bike seat ...the rims is different the shock and much more.....if you did 3d work professional you would know what that is. they are different, so as a professional artist, you can't say someone STOLE something with OUT seeing BOTH, wire frames of EACH model...You SHOULD know better than that... just saying. the rest looks stolen, but YOU CANT say this,... if you are tells me, you never worked anywhere, and know the law.. this is why Unity hasn't done anything..Unreal wouldn't either......So not sure why people are ignoring the fact you need to find the OWNER and guess what, it is a AAA company .....not hard to find them.. So if you are a professional modeler. you would know the policy as many companies teach you about Copy right with your WORK when you do contracts with ANY company.

So i'm not protecting this person, but I have seen to many times, the person, was ruined due to this with OUT, the Owner, models, and when they did..they found out, the person just copied the design....and it was damn near.. the same..model..but it wasn't...it ruined that person. So lets be FAIR and do the right thing, by reporting this to the COMPANY, one is EA, Dice....

I cant post legal info regarding, or I would so , contact them....easy to find, on the net, I googled it in 4 seconds.

anyways bottom line I said from the start this should be looked at and we said how, but the OP just keep posting pics, which is going no where.... Unity still cant do anything, until, you do what we suggested. ..... So not sure why, people are upset, as I been agreeing the whole time, other than, I said the Scooter is different and it is. in some ways.

The rest looks pretty spot on, but it don't matter what I say or any of us.......You need to take this and do the proper channels...and yet you are wasting time here.....trying to convince us.... we are the wrong people to try to convince...Find the Company, easy to find and report it.. done .. I hope you do, and get this handled...good luck i'm done with this..because you seem to just want to argue which I bet is why Unity won't do anything, because if they said what I did, you would just argue.. best of luck.

PS
    Well one of so are EA'a and Dice. others are from other well known games. or could be..( to be fair:) Just contact the Owner, and report it, problem solved.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  26. First of all, I would not expect that Unity removes anything just because you tell them to (unless your work is stolen and you act as the copyright holder). If and when the original author (actually the copyright holder) legally states that they are the owner, Unity must comply, up until then they can't and won't.

Second, if you want to write to the scooter's original author, here is his site, down in the middle you can find the contact link, maybe you should ask him instead of picking the torches, forks and spades right away.
    https://jobyek.artstation.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
    Ryiah and recon0303 like this.
  27. recon0303

recon0303

28. recon0303

recon0303

its possible he did, but the rim area he would of had to do some work to change the design area. but its very possible he did. He could of also, did something else I cant repeat as it may give someone an idea...as there are ways to exploit others work...This is why I want the OWNERS to look at them, they KNOW there own work....I have had work taken from me, and brought to me 10 years later to find it was mine. I wont say how I know but some artist, do something to ALL of there models that NO ONE CAN SEE ever......as well, plus you know your work, but to prove your work, we keep our files and many good artist due to thief, we do other things to them, to prove this. anyways. I wish you guys would go to the Owners if you feel this way.:) good luck. though. anyone who really does steal, should be dealt with.....So lets be clear, here. I support, people that find that are bringing this forward, but I support doing it the right way. :) so please do so. I talk to a company I did work for..larger company and they said they even have a team, that deals with this .So some will, and some won't . so if Unity isn't talking, either A, they have not got to it yet, or B. they need the Owner. these are guesses anyways.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Copyright holder Ubisoft model. I wrote to them and they answered me, but the model continues to spread...
    That is, I wrote or did not write, and people continue to use in their games illegal model
    2018-10-07_095817.jpg

Translation

SynonymsRelated wordsreport error

Thank you for updating your appeal.

Thank you for additional information on this issue.

I will refer Your request to the appropriate Department for consideration of copyright infringement.
    Indeed, the similarity in this model is present, thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact again.

With respect,
    Artyom
    Ubisoft support

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

SCB_Prop_Scooter_01.jpg
    I wonder why the author doesn't have a normal map?!
    Maybe because the stolen model didn't have them? :D
    1211.jpg 2535.jpg
    I wonder why the texture exactly like the model Ubisoft? Maybe he stole it?! :D
    And why texture 2K? Perhaps because the model Ubisoft 2K texture?
    2018-10-07_100916.jpg
    Not tired of justifying the thief?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

2018-10-07_100817.jpg

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Would a large studio license assets from a third party content creator? Yes. I was curious about this as well and visited Quixel's Megascans (linked below) and there was at least one major studio listed in their admittedly very short list of testimonials.

https://megascans.se/

Would a studio license them from the company in question? I don't know but I do know some companies allow you to resell licensed artwork from them as long as it has been significantly modified and is no longer being sold in the raw form it came as (eg below is a link to the FAQ entry for Quixel where they mention that for their artwork).

https://megascans.zendesk.com/hc/en...-What-is-the-difference-between-the-licenses-

Is it possible that the artwork from both the games and this publisher were made from the same base materials?

Plus there are costs associated with legal matters and there are countries where pursuing someone who has stolen your artwork is almost impossible. Between these two factors it just might not be worth it to the companies in question.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

You claim that if the model was textured in Quixel SUITE, then you can use it all, because in the Quixel license it is written that way?
    Not even funny...

You're confusing an instrument with a work of art.

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. I'm fairly certain you're the only one who is confused. Quixel was an example of a content creation company that allows you to resell the content you license from them with caveats. If there are companies selling textures it stands to reason some will sell meshes and thus it's possible that someone could release the same asset. It's just not probable.

recon0303 likes this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Quixel SUITE - a tool in which models are textured
    Scooter - own Ubisoft

36. Ryiah

Ryiah

Once again you completely missed the point of my posts, but I'm done trying to present my viewpoint. It's very clear you're either unwilling or unable to understand the points anyone can make leaving me with the conclusion that it's best to just ignore you. Like Ubisoft clearly has.

recon0303 likes this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

I may not be good at English. :D
    I realized one thing, that half of the people are protecting the thief and each has his own arguments...

38. Mauri

Mauri

No one is protecting the thief. It is just that you are not the owner of these models. You got the answer right in the email: if you are the owner, fill out that DMCA Takedown form. If you are not the owner, but knows the person that owns these models, let him or her know of that form, so that he or she can fill out that form.

On https://unity3d.com/legal/copyright-policy, it states:
    As you are not the owner of either of these assets, it is simply none of your business.

Pinging @hippocoder

recon0303, XCPU and Ryiah like this.
  39. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

but what if they are indeed stolen assets and everyone bought them are in the risk of copyright infringement? (assuming the company in question is asset store owner ,which is in this case, Unity)

40. Ryiah

Ryiah

If I'm not mistaken the owner of the asset has to send out a takedown notice for every infringement case. Beyond that if the takedown is ignored then it can lead to the owner taking you to court over the matter.

recon0303 likes this.
  41. Deleted User

Deleted User

My goal is to publicize that stolen models...
    And I created the topic so that people would not suffer from fraud

hippocoder likes this.
  42. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

just out of curiousity, what if the assets buyer states that its bough from unity's asset store? wouldnt it be bad for unity?
    I think it would be safer for unity to recall and refund the sold assets...

43. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's Asset Store Provider Agreement (that everyone who publishes assets must agree to) covers refunds but it must be done within four weeks of it being removed. Basically if the asset provider doesn't provide you with a refund then you can get one from Unity. You can find it under Section 8.

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_provider

Beyond that you would have to ask someone who is more versed in legal matters but my inclination is that Unity has already set up legal defenses in the event that this occurs.

recon0303 and bart_the_13th like this.
  44. XCPU

XCPU

Searching for truth and justice.... Is the Lone Ranger still under copyright?

45. chelnok

chelnok

I don't see anyone protecting the thief; it's very different to point out they might not be stealing other peoples work.

For example, you are saying this one is another cheater:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/32399

You are comparing this asset: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/air/uh-60-black-hawk-102941
    and you are providing proof that he stole it from Devil’s Third Online game: http://devilsthird.wikia.com/wiki/F...y-uh-60-black-hawk-iz-devils-third-online.jpg

Any idea why the image is watermarked by 3d-modeli.net and not Valhalla Game Studios (who made the game).

And are you really sure this asset store publisher is really not the original modeller? His publisher website from asset store goes to artstation: https://www.artstation.com/joseph_bradascio_3d/profile and quick look tells me he's pro and looks like he have published some military vechiles 3-4 years ago. What if he was the one who sold the models to that game, and had a deal like after two years he can start selling those models in asset store.

So, do you know it as a fact he is another cheater?

recon0303 and Ryiah like this.
  46. Mauri

Mauri

Actually, if you check both given links (website and email address) on PolyLab's AS profile, you'll notice a difference.
    The website points to "artstation.com/joseph_bradascio_3d", whereas the email address points to "yura.perekalov@______.ru". You can see the same pattern on the other Asset Store publishers linked here.

3d-modeli.net is just as shady as p3dm.ru, really. (why?)

Edit: 3DOcean has the same problem: https://3docean.net/item/uh60-black-hawk/21303572

chelnok, Deleted User and Ryiah like this.
  47. Deleted User

Deleted User

Because the image is taken from a pirate 3D site
    You are now defending a cheater :D lol

All these thieves take models from a pirate site https://p3dm.ru
    Coincidence?

I'll take this helicopter as an example! I'll download it and see the contents...
    Link to stolen model https://p3dm.ru/files/avio/helicopters/9135-sikorsky-uh-60-black-hawk-.html
    Content asset and archive files from a pirate site
    2018-10-07_163959.jpg 2018-10-07_164205.jpg

Grid model
    2018-10-07_164521.jpg 2018-10-07_164528.jpg

Now let's take on the author and someone else's page artstation

And what do we see? We see the mail of the Russian Yandex service. Russian name Yura Perekalov (Yuri)
    2018-10-07_164726.jpg

And what about the artstation?
    Joseph Bradascio from USA?

Perhaps we will look for a model similar to the one that he downloaded on the asstore?
    No such models, ZERO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chelnok likes this.
  48. recon0303

recon0303

Yes you are correct, I have told him, in other words to do so, I cant give legal advice, but I have stated I actually do this professional for larger companies, indies and many clients for decades. and even worked for one of the companies possible Stolen from, I offered any help I could, but he seems to just want ignore, our points of view and just call someone a thief...You can't do that..and its unprofessional to do so. period... You need the Owner to do so. anyways, I feel this post, is going no where, as the OP, just wants it there way.. no matter what and most aren't saying he is wrong ,but we can't NOT say for 100% certain that its stolen or not..He needs to take steps, he is refusing to do so...

Then we I call out issues, with the ACTUALLY MESH of one in question, he talks about normal maps, clearly he don't understand how 3d models are made...and how others can copy one another... and do all the time. . some do look to be the same ones, other than that one I pointed out and I said why would proof that it is different,but like I said, I can't say for certain with out both meshes..in Maya, or Modo. So, that is why an Owner needs to....but by the Screen shots that scooter does not look to be 100% the same. they are close in some ways but also different.. The others looks the same, but that don't matter, he NEEDS to find all owners.. I would of hoped by now instead of wasting time posting more stuff, he would of took the time to contact these companies or people, which some even helped him with.....

good luck......but this post just needs to end , its going NO WHERE. sadly.

PS for the record I sell MODELS all over the world...for years.....and people have the right to resell at times..based on my contract with them....So YOU don't know that this did not happen either..So this is another reason SIR you need to take steps.... but you aren't going to listen ...No one is defending, someone who would of stole....but you cant call someone it WITH OUT the OWNER showing proof .... that is the way it is...

XCPU likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh my God, what nonsense are you writing...
    I wasn't going to argue with anyone here... I just want people not to get caught cheating.

I brought in some serious proofs that even a blind person would see that these models are 100% identical
    And you say to me that everything is wrong and I am wrong

50. recon0303

recon0303

you clearly either A don't understand anything we are saying, or just don't want to. This post needs to be handled... You aren't understanding a WORD that professionals have already suggested you to do..and you claim, we are saying YOUR WRONG. or we are this and that....do you read anything? I will just leave this alone, hopefully a mod can deal with it.. This is silly. it really is. we tried to help you, but you REFUSE... you seem to be stuck on your OWN Agenda....WHICH is wrong. no matter what your trying to do. you just cant do that. sorry. there are rules. as others pointed out as well . best of luck to you .:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.