Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

import vertex color from blender...?

Discussion in 'Import Formats & External Tools' started by U7Games, May 4, 2014.

1. U7Games

U7Games

Hey all..

I have painted my meshes with vertex color in blender, now, i´m looking for a way to export it and then import into unity...
    is there any way to achieve that?.. (i don´t have a credit card to buy vertex color paint tool from asset, so i´m forced to use the blender itself...)

Thanks.

2. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Saving from Blender as usual is sufficient.

--Eric

4. goat

goat

Put Blender in object mode and save the blend file. You can export it from blender as an FBX and then import to Unity. Unity will create a materials file from the vertex colors you don't need to do anything special.

5. Cygon4

Cygon4

I can confirm this works without any special actions in Blender.

Most of my game world is based on vertex colors - I'm using them with a special Unity shader as texture splatting weights. Thanks to Blender's node-based material system, I even get a perfect preview of how it will look in Unity while painting :)

6. goat

goat

Not quite, without subdiv on, on export and use in Unity, it looks better in Unity.

7. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Really? I"ve exported to FBX and see none of my vertex colouring. What are you doing to prep it?

amarpanjis likes this.
  8. kdgalla

kdgalla

Are you using a shader that supports vertex colors? I don't think any of Unity's default shaders support vertex colors- so the vertex colors are probably there, they're just not being used for anything. You'd need to find such a shader or create your own.

9. EagleG

EagleG

Use the Vertex color node in shader graph and plug it into the albedo

10. WilliamLy

WilliamLy

I can't find anyone that specifically tells how I am supposed to get my characters vertex colors into unity, can someone help me?

11. kdgalla

kdgalla

As far as I know they should import automatically when you import an fbx. There's nothing special you have to do to import them.

unityunity