Search Unity

Question Import Spline from 3ds Max/Blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by mountainsinteractive, Sep 20, 2022.

1. mountainsinteractive

mountainsinteractive

I've been looking all over, but can't seem to find any useful answers. I'm attempting to import a spline from a 3d modeling program (I have access to 3ds Max and Blender) and whatever I do, it just shows up as an empty gameobject. The closest things I can find about it are for animating, but the solutions for that don't work for what I'm needing it for (as a guide to tell a script how to connect a series of points). I know there's a new package in 2022.1 called Splines, but from what I can tell, that only seems to allow me to create them in Unity, not to import them from elsewhere? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

I am fairly confident that the Unity Model importer does not support curve primitives since the curves themselves arrived much later :)
    Alembic does support Curve schemas, but only the piece-wise constant part is read ( no higher order data). It's main use case is to import hair grooms from DCCs .
    If you don't target standalone anything else than desktop builds, that might be the thing for you.

3. mountainsinteractive

mountainsinteractive

Thanks Vladala. I just tested it and that might work in part, but unfortunately, it does need to be available for programs outside of PC. Otherwise though, that was definitely the right direction for what I'm needing.