Search Unity

import poser 8 model to unity3d with help of other software

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by jlux168, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jlux168

jlux168

dear sir how to import poser 8 own model to unity 3d. can i use animeeple to create actions for poser 8 models? or if you have any other solution please tell.
    thanks

2. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

3. jlux168

jlux168

thanks your help. :D

4. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

What I do is :
    I export the Poser 8 models as .obj files
    I reduce the polys count using atageo
    I export from Poser 8 also animations in bvh file format
    I merge model and animations in fragmotion
    Last I create the FBX file in UltimeUnwrap3d

5. jlux168

jlux168

DEAR AlbertoT
    Thanks for your help, but i need clear way of how to motioning poser 8 model easily and export in to fbx for import unity 3d. and also method must be cheapest becouse i'm from srilanka so finding resource are not easy work. currently i used poser 8 for design my own asian human character and used 3d-coat for make dresses for my model. anyway thanks for your help.

6. txmikester

txmikester

You can do this pretty easily using Daz Studio and the Digimi developer tools. Daz Studio is free, the dev tools are about $100.

The basic process is to pull your poser character into Daz, run the decimator plugin (part of the game kit) to reduce the polys to something reasonable, animate it (be sure to bake the animation to the timeline when you are done - everyone forgets that step) then export it as an FBX.

There is a lot of control with the DAZ decimator - you can for example specify how much to reduce the polys on different areas of the model. I'm still playing around with it, but it looks very promising.

Another potential workflow is to just take the high-poly model out of DAZ/poser into a retopo tool like Topogun, but I haven't had time to try that yet.

EDIT - forgot to mention, but when you do this, be careful with the licensing. Most Poser/DAZ content have licenses that do not allow you to redistribute the mesh, so you can use them in renderings only. I have found a lot of free content on various sites with more liberal licenses, but the vast majority is licensed for render only. Daz does have a developer store where you can license their models for game use, but it's pretty expensive to do so.

7. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

the procedure seem complicated but it is really quite simple
    About the cost, the tools that you are already using Poser 8 and 3d coat, are much more expensive than the additional ones which I suggested
    However it is not possible as far as I know to export fbx file from Poser

There is an other alternative : the DAZ studio
    It is free of charge
    DAZ and Poser are related products

8. jlux168

jlux168

is there any other open source software for do this work?

9. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

nope, as far as I know

10. txmikester

txmikester

Really, it's $100 for the developer kit from Daz, and Daz Studio is free, so you won't get any cheaper than that.

11. drewradley

drewradley

Blender. (blender.org)

The only thing it will cost you is blood sweat and tears as it is a beast to figure out what you are doing.

12. txmikester

txmikester

If you can get the model out of Poser/DAZ in a decent form, you can pretty much use anything like Topogun or 3D Coat, etc. to retopo it. Without the FBX exporter, I don't think Daz Studio exports to anything really usable. It might do .obj, but then you would lose any animations you had done.

If you use Poser Pro 2010, it has an exporter directly to most of the major 3D packages. I know for sure it supports Maya, Max, C4D, and Lightwave. You can also go the other way and buy plugins for your 3D package that can import from a Poser runtime directly. I've looked at a couple for Lightwave and they generally run around $150 or so.

Yet another option is to use Vue, which has good support for Poser runtimes and gives you nice environment building to boot. Unfortunately, if you want to export from view, you either need their Studio version ($600) or add the exporter module ($150) to one of the lower packages. Either way, you're looking at $250-300 minimum to go that route. It's still a nice choice - I'll probably add Vue to my toolkit at some point in the future.

So you see, there are a lot of ways to do it, but the Daz tools are definitely among the cheaper options. If you don't want to spend the $150 for the whole developer kit, then just buy the FBX exporter separately for $70 and do your retopo in another tool.

Oh, and if you do go for the whole developer kit, they just released the 64-bit version of the Decimator plugin this week, so now they have 32 and 64-bit versions of all the developer plugins! Before, I had to keep 2 installs of Daz studio just so I could run the decimator on the 32-bit version.

EDIT - as I think about this some more, I'm pretty sure plain old Poser exports OBJ's, which is fine if you don't care about animations. If that works for you, they were running a special that I think is still going on where you can get the full version of Poser 7 for $50. That's a great deal on a pretty good version of the software, and if you ever need the features of Pro you can then use that version to do an upgrade.