Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Import package overwrites scene

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dblincoe, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Dblincoe

Dblincoe

I have two unity projects. They came from the same template. So in each project I have scenes that were named the same thing. I want to rename the scenes in one and import into the other but every time I do the scenes being imported overwrite the existing ones. I have tried renaming the existing ones to something different. Moving them to another folder. Renaming the ones that I want to import before making the package and no matter what the imported ones always find the location of the existing ones and overwrite the files that were originally named the same thing.

I don't think I ever experienced this before. I am using collaborate on this project. However, I have made sure that my name changes and my relocating the existing files are synced to the collaborate server before importing the new package. Any ideas? I have to combine these projects somehow. Should I remove and turnoff collaborate before importing the package?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. NorthStar79

NorthStar79

Hello, why don't you just create another empty project > import your package > rename scenes > locate project folder in file explorer (or finder in Mac) > copy all needed things (without meta files) > locate your original project folder > paste.

This way you can probably work around your problem.

3. Dblincoe

Dblincoe

I've tried brining the scenes into a new, empty project and renaming. That works fine until I import and the same situation happens. They find the existing scenes even though they and the existing scenes are renamed before import. I haven't tried manually copying. Will try that next. This is crazy.
    Thanks.

4. irny

irny

I'm having exactly the same issue. Any advice appreciated!

5. Silsen

Silsen

Having the same problem here. This is weird...

6. Silsen

Silsen

I think I found a workaround:
    Right before pressing import in the import window, make a duplicate of the Scene that's being replaced. It then only replaces the original Scene and keeps the duplicate intact!

Afterwards you can copy the needed assets over to the duplicate.

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

Going out on limb, I think what may be happening is- since the scene in the second project is just a a copy of the first project, they may have identical GUIDs in the each project's asset database. Unity uses it's own internal GUIDs to reference assets, rather than the name or location, so when you try to import the duplicate scene, Unity probably interprets that as trying to re-import the scene that is already there.

Not sure what the solution is, except what Silsen said in the above post.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Worked like a charm. Make sure you have renamed all the stuff that share the same name too!

LoudaMR likes this.