Search Unity

Import materials error

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by arvidgudmundsson, Oct 22, 2018.

1. arvidgudmundsson

arvidgudmundsson

Hi,

When I select an object in the scene and want to edit the settings in Inspector tab then click on Materials button I only get the option to tick the box Import Materials and all other settings are missing. See attached jpeg.
    What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?
    Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Arvid

Attached Files:

2. up830109

up830109

I have this too its really frustrating

3. arvidgudmundsson

arvidgudmundsson

Did you find a solution? I tried to reinstall the program but I get the same error. Is there any reset to default options so I can get the parameters back?

4. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

(guess)... Looks like a model made from multiple objects with variod materials applied to them. Maybe when you first select the model it's selecting the top node, which would be the group node, not a particular mesh/material. Try selecting one of the meshes under the group node in the outliner, or maybe after selecting the model/group doubling clicking may then select the nearest mesh under the mouse.... Again just a guess.

5. ivank

ivank

Isn't that the same issue - remaping materials during multimaterial FBX file import results in crash - as discussed in this thread in 2018.3 beta forum?
    The bug report No 1095663 was filled, unfortunately without any response from Unity team yet.

6. PW_Dave

PW_Dave

I'm having the same issue with Unity 2018.2.15f1. When I enable "Import Materials", the panel is blank and my console gets flooded with:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUILayout (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ScriptAttributeGUI/PropertyHandler.cs:203)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8791)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8780)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.DoMaterialsGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:364)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:162)
    UnityEditor.AssetImporterTabbedEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TabbedEditor.cs:147)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1367)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I guess I get to write my own model importer inspector now. This is pretty close to Microsoft level of suck.