Search Unity

Import from VRED 2017

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by maximilian_auer, Feb 20, 2017.

1. maximilian_auer

maximilian_auer

Hey!

I have an issue with fbx files from VRED 2017. No materials are imported on the Unity side.

I checked the fbx with FBX Review and the material data is correctly saved in the fbx. The same fbx opened in Maya and exported to Unity imports the materials correctly.

Anyone an idea why this would happen? (Animations etc are imported correctly. Only Materials are not getting through)

Does anyone know what fbx-sdk version unity uses right now? I couldn´t find any information about that. My current guess is that VRED is exporting with a newer SDK which Unity cant read right now.

2. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I second this, as I also just tried it and I didn't even get a model in my scene.

However, a big huge warning sign for me is that the FBX file didn't produce any results when imported into Blender either.

EDIT: Same source model exported from 3D Studio Max instead of VRED produces good results. Turns out VRED sucks, despite being an Autodesk product exporting to an Autodesk format.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  3. mrwellmann

mrwellmann

4. PauliusFatmap

PauliusFatmap

Hi,

I left Unity ~4-5 years ago. Back then we were using FBX SDK 2013. It was Unity 4.6. Unity 5 was still in development. So I believe that things have changed a lot since then. I'm not sure who owns the development of 3D Asset Importer now.

Unity had a pretty limited import of materials back then. Basically, if it wasn't something standard as "diffuse" material in fbx, then it would get ignored. Maybe that something that is happening in your case - maybe once you import into Maya it changes the material type and exports it as something more simple that Unity understands. Basically, try using more basic material types or playing with export options. Or write and extra tools to export your materials into a separate file.