Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Import from Daz

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by iacoposk8, Feb 15, 2017.

1. iacoposk8

iacoposk8

Hello everyone! I saw that to import a character I need to create a 3D model, put the bones, creating a thousand animations for curves, jumps, running, stopping, then program the animations etc ...
    Or otherwise use the assets character third person who does it all, as I have seen in this tutorial:

If I have a character created with Daz studio, I have a simple way to import it? or simply replace the FBX object of the assets?
    In essence, a way to import a character from the DAZ studio without having to create / find animations, link them to the arrow buttons etc ...
    thank you.

2. rewar281

rewar281

Daz characters will work with mecanim, when I first tried this I used mixamo which is free with an adobe id (also free). Ethan's (unity's standard 3rd person character) animation will also work. The tut for mixamo work flow
    . Now for the obligatory warnings, Daz Studio has a different "interactive use" license for their models and it's a bit draconian in how it's emposed $500 if you're indie and haven't made 100k and some of the third party models are even worse $500 100k but can only use the model for one game. Now there's also the poly count which is ridiculous in terms of gaming(they look great in renders) most of the hair models alone surpass unity's vertices limit of 60k I think and you're adding clothes and the model itself(I've edited some of the daz models to optimize by deleting hidden triangles etc still got a high poly count). Morph3d is an offshoot of Daz, same people or something like that and they make unity ready assets mcs female/mcs male (free still probably) but there is a lite version that's always free. There's a guy that's been making tutorials for all the little quirks dealing with importing daz models including a full pbr setup(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR2YVcUhJE). There's also makehuman and other solutions some that require you have the knowledge to model and rig yourself.

To answer your question there's no simple way one button way of doing things, still it's fairly simple when you learn about great 3rd party tools like mixamo which also includes a decent decimator (to lower poly count) but it does mess up the quad topology in models...A character controller is somewhat newbie territory and there is lots of material/tutorials on it and I'm sure there are assets ready made but none of them that really help much with Daz Studio as that's made for an entirely different purpose.

3. iacoposk8

iacoposk8

Thank you so much response, I also found this: https://www.morph3d.com/
    which it is a good compromise to have a custom character and ease of animations, controls etc ...
    What do you think? It is a good product or they exist of the best?

4. nookie_jones

nookie_jones

I create a G3F char in DS, export it as .fbx to unity then i create a humanoid rig and add Ethans controller. Switch the avatar to my model and remove Ethans model.
    BunnyGun Games Tutorial worked for my DS-WF, even he uses Morph3D ->

I also tried to create facial animations with iClone and 3dxChange so my DAZ char could speak, but that didnt worked out.