Search Unity

Import from blender faulty

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by nerdnils, Dec 7, 2017.

1. nerdnils

nerdnils

Hi there,

I am new to unity and to create a game i started by importing some models into unity. I was looking at the first and there are some very bad issues. First, see some pictures. My tipper in blender:

My tipper in unity:

This has multiple issues:
    1. The whole mounting is gone and not there at all
    2. The proportions are wrong!
    3. The wheels are one little box each only
    4. I can only give one material to the whole object while the original has three materials.

How to solve these 4 issues? At least the first three look like a bug in unity to me. Or what could I have done wrong by copying the file in the directory of the project and pasting the object into the scene?

Greetings

2. mariusz

mariusz

Looks like inverted normals, and not applied scale in blender.
    Materials shoud be different if there are separate meshes in unity.

3. nerdnils

nerdnils

I already recalculated normals but I'll have another look at it to verify. So for making different materials in unity everything has to be a separate object? Und to make it move the same way it has to be parented or what would be the unity way here?

This explains the wrong proportions and the thing with the materials. But why are there parts missing?

4. mariusz

mariusz

There's no need for separate objects - if you assign different materials for different faces in blender, you should get them in unity.
    blender_box.png

unity_box.png

And thats why I said about normals - maybe parts are not missing but only invisible because normals are inverted ?
    Yes objects can be parented (and animated) in Unity to move one with another. Or can be animated in blender using bones - but because of this rotating bones in X when importing I prefer to animate such objects directly in Unity

5. nerdnils

nerdnils

The model was and is alright in blender. I found it:

Unity reads two models using the same name. Using the other one, all issues are solved. What is the other model about? Now I have to dive into how to get my animations and all this looks way better.

6. nerdnils

nerdnils

7. Cygon4

Cygon4

Those are not two models.

The first is the game object containing transforms and references to material and the mesh.
    The second is the mesh. It merely shows the raw vertices of the unposed, unscaled model.

You normally drag the model file itself from the project panel into the hierarchy panel or scene rather than the individual parts the model consists of.

nerdnils likes this.
  8. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

a general rule for anyone exporting meshes from blender who doesnt exactly know what he is doing

press strg + a -> apply scale, rotation

then check your normals
    either through the n menu normals options (you need to be in editmode)

or by enabling backfac culling in the n menu

after that check your uvs

Attached Files: