Search Unity

Import FBX (6.0) and baked texture TIFF from C4d 9.5 how to?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by escondar, Dec 27, 2005.

1. escondar

escondar

Hi,

As an exercise to begin to understand workflow I created a simple mesh in C4d 9,5; A walled courtyard with a central tower. I textured the walls and tower with a brick pattern and the grass with a grass pattern. I lit the scene with three lights and then "Baked object"

A new baked texture was created which I placed in a textures file. I made sure it was 1024 x 1024. I then erased the original object and all its textures.

The baked object with baked textures rendered great in C4d. I exported it as a FBX 6.0 file and placed the baked textures with shadows in the Textures file next to the FBX.

In Unity I imported the FBX file. The mesh came in but an "Invalid operation" warning in red text appeared at the bottom and the texture did not import. From the texture file in the project window I imported the 1024 x 1024 32 bit TIFF file with the baked texture and again it said: "invalid operation"... but it seemed to appear. I dropped it on my mesh but the whole mesh turned black.

As much as I read the manual I can't determine where I am going wrong.
    Thanks.

Another question: Can one use a moving image as a texture in Unity?

Attached Files:

2. escondar

escondar

here is the 1024 x 1024 TIFF file of the baked texture with shadows...

note: How could I post the FBX model in this forum??

Attached Files:

3. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

Perhaps Cinema 4D spat out a questionable TIFF file, so I would try converting it to PSD or PNG and see if that will import properly. If you don't have Photoshop you can use Preview.

And yes you can have an animated texture in Unity from a QuickTime movie, as long as the movie also follows the power of two rule. There is a little script you have to attach buried somewhere in the forums.

4. escondar

escondar

Somehow it only worked as a 3ds file.... but it worked great.

Why is FBX listed as the preferred export from C4d?

And as always, thanks for the replies.

5. boxy

boxy

Hello Escondar
    FBX supports animation, so in theory you could do all your animation in C4D and it will import into Unity with textures, animation data et al.
    As for the Tiff, I don't know for sure but try using an 8 bit image file instead of a 32bit tiff? I tend to use Photoshop files too and have no problems importing fbx's
    Cheers
    Boxy

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Just a little tip from my side...I wouldn't choose TIF anyways because the file sizes are way to big for a game. Go for JPG as the compression is higher.

7. NCarter

NCarter

Except... Unity automatically converts your textures to an internal format (either DXT or uncompressed) when it imports them. That means that it doesn't particularly matter what format you use when you save your files. It's better to use whatever's convenient. In fact, JPEG is probably one of the less preferable formats to use since it loses quality each time you save the file, and JPEG artefacts may interfere with DXT compression and reduce its effectiveness.

I'd recommend using PSD or TIF, since both of those formats support Photoshop layers and alpha channels.

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Totally forgot about that...you are right NCarter ;)

Thomas