Search Unity

Import 3D object tp Unity 3D!

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by GogoEdward, Aug 21, 2013.

1. GogoEdward

GogoEdward

OK guys, so I have a big problem. So far I've been using models from 3D wareHouse by Google( *.skp format only), but now I decided to add a car to my game. But the problem is that none of them has very detailed interior, and that's what I am aiming for. Until I found this:

http://animium.com/2012/11/bmw-m6-3d-model-2/

A free-to-use 3D highly-detailed model of a car. Could you ask for more? BUT, unfortunately there's no SKP file, only MAX, OBJ, and MA, with a bunch of textures(*.png) and TGA files.

I tried importing it with AutoDesk Converter(so I convert it to FBX) but textures didn't get imported. I tried with BLENDER to import the OBJ file and export it as FBX again, but no textures got imported. Ple.ase help me, because I have no idea how to import that beautiful model into Unity. Thanks in advance!

2. XGundam05

XGundam05

I'm pretty certain that Unity can import MAX, OBJ, and MA files without the need for you to convert them. They're more standard than Google Sketchup files for 3D modeling anyways (especially since Sketchup doesn't always produce optimized geometry).

The model should import with a material, you'll then need to import the texture files yourself and assign them to the material. If the model doesn't import with a material, just create a new one and then do the same as if it had imported with one.

3. miniduck

miniduck

is that website really legit?....

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

There is no licensing information on that site, so even if it *is* legal, you can't actually use those models for anything without contact the owner.

5. XGundam05

XGundam05

I hadn't looked at Google's warehouse in years, so I hadn't been sure on that and thus didn't bring it up. But yeah, considering that (from what I remember) the majority of models on there are reproductions of items that are from established IPs or Brands, even if there were licensing terms on there you probably wouldn't be able to trust them as far as you could throw them. Which, being digital and all, is exactly 0 of any unit of measurement you choose ;)

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

You also can't likely use the BMW name or logo without permission from BMW.