Search Unity

Question "implicit truncation of vector type" - Should I care?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by dgoyette, Jun 16, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I was getting some warnings in a graph: "implicit truncation of vector type"

This seems to be because I was sending a V4 into a V3 input, such as this:

upload_2020-6-16_1-34-57.png

In these cases, am I really supposed to do something like the following in order to now get a warning?

upload_2020-6-16_1-36-30.png

Is the second approach "better" in some way? It prevents the warning, but it adds more cruft to the graph. I also don't know whether it has any performance impact one way or the other.

Aldeminor, Boodums, Reahreic and 4 others like this.
  2. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I'd like to know as well :)

3. goran_okomotive

goran_okomotive

bump

bantus likes this.
  4. Camarent

Camarent

Me too interesting in this.
    I see two questions here:
    1. Can it cause any trouble? For example console has more strict requirements for shaders that sometimes cause compilation errors.
    2. What is preferable way in terms of optimization?

5. MagdielM

MagdielM

Implicit truncation warnings serve to, well, warn you that the truncation is happening so that you're not surprised when the alpha channel of your RGBA output is suddenly missing from your variable later in the graph because you passed it through a node that takes in a three-component vector.

If I recall correctly, it's about as computationally expensive as a swizzle operation. You probably shouldn't worry about it.

6. Sphax84

Sphax84

I'm interested in that as well because I get spammed in the Console by those warnings and it's pretty annoying.
    Are we supposed to get rid of those warnings by editing the Shader Graphs the way @dgoyette showed in the screenshot and is it expensive in a way or another or another method exists to remove/hide that kind of warnings?

7. Dorodo

Dorodo

Getting the same warnings here. Would be nice if we could get rid of that, as it seems to be a bug.

bobbaluba likes this.
  8. vyacheslav_zemlyanik

vyacheslav_zemlyanik

I would love to know that too!

9. Qriva

Qriva

Maybe one day we'll find out :rolleyes:

10. Double-V

Double-V

I would like to know too

11. unity_yppDGGle3H5QVQ

unity_yppDGGle3H5QVQ

any news on this? I am encountering the same issue

12. TheProfessor

TheProfessor

This problem affects me as well; especially since it says it's an "error" and not a "warning"; if it's an actual error what am I supposed to do? If its a warning, how do I turn it off? Having to swizzle manually just for peace of mind seems inoptimal.

13. Schuell

Schuell

The warning just means that some components of the vector are being ignored as it is converted to another type with less components(for example V4 to V3). In a script, instead of writing

float3 a = float3(1, 2, 3);
    float2 b = a;

(which will give your a warning) you can simply write

float3 a = float3(1, 2, 3);
    float2 b = a.xy;

The behaviour is the same, but the warning is gone.

14. ArturoSR

ArturoSR

Hello and good day.

I have the same problem, but in my case it's relative to an empty shader (just the vertex and fragment nodes)... shader-graph-errors.jpg

unity version: 2020.2.7f1
    shade graph: 10.3.2 (verified)

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

tziii likes this.
  15. harsap

harsap

i have same error how to solve this ?

VeganBurrito86 likes this.
  16. Xepherys

Xepherys

That's just a semantics issue in the Unity inspector for shaders. Instead of the header for that textbox being "Errors (#):" it should be "Output (#):"

It's only an actual error if the message is accompanied by a red !-agon. If it's a yellow yield triangle, then it's just a warning. If you are getting an actual error because of this (the shader doesn't compile or doesn't function), you may be truncating a value type that absolutely cannot be truncated, but I haven't seen this myself.

17. RoyBarina

RoyBarina

I'm getting a ginormous amount of "implicit truncation" warning messages in my console even after I did check more than a handful of times in my shaders that there isn't any implicit truncation.
    It always pointing me to a sub graph I made that a few more shader graphs uses and there is 0 truncation there.
    So I picked into the generated code and discovered the culprit! it's the "normal from texture" node! yea this one:
    upload_2022-3-2_4-16-49.png
    The generated code is:
    upload_2022-3-2_4-20-47.png
    Those 3 lines calls for 'SAMPLE_TEXTURE2D()' which should return 'float4' but then directly put in a 'float' type.

18. Nalida

Nalida

I installed NET4 the problem is gone. strange :rolleyes:

19. Aurigan

Aurigan

Still curious if we should bother dealing with this warning or ignore it.

20. RoyBarina

RoyBarina

IMO
    It's probably fine to ignore. you would do a truncation anyway either manually or automatically when you need\have to.. the warning is just to let you know an automatic truncation occurred and it's not obvious if it is intended or not.

21. Lizianthe

Lizianthe

I had warnings with the shader graphs I made in Unity URP, and I solved it by adding those shaders in Project Settings -> Graphics -> Always Included Shaders
    Change the size accordingly on the top and then you can add your shaders.
    Be aware that every time you add one, a pop up window might show up, and when you press Continue it will pop your pipeline asset out on the top, so you have to put it back. Or at least that kept happening to me. :confused:

22. qweredell

qweredell

Bump

I feel like a lot of the time this is down to the actual master stack...

23. BenCloward

BenCloward

Unity Technologies

You can safely ignore implicit truncation warnings. If you connect a Vec4 data type to a Vec3 input port (for example), you'll get that warning, but all it means is that the fourth component of the vector is being thrown away to make the conversion from Vec4 to Vec3. The only case where this would be a problem is if you actually have data in that forth component that you need to keep. That's why there's a warning. But in 99% of cases this truncation is exactly what you intended to do - so it's not a problem.

24. cosmiK777

cosmiK777

I had this error today as well using Unity 2021. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality. Just thought i'd share for documentation.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 203940.png

siberiasuninc_unity likes this.
  25. richard_harrington

richard_harrington

Unity Technologies

As BenCloward said, the warning is benign and just letting you know that it is doing some work to throw away extra vector components when plugging a vector into an input that takes a smaller vector.

The way I generally recommend handing this for best clarity is to simply use a "Swizzle" node to "truncate" the vector yourself. This is similar to how "swizzling" works in written-shaders, so if you want to chop of the 4th component of a Vector4, you can swizzle with "xyz" or "rgb" (both are the same result).

upload_2023-10-4_14-26-58.png

Just for some bonus knowledge, you can also do cool things with the swizzle node, such as:
    • xxx (gives you a vector 3 where all values are the X of your input vector), same with yyy, zzz, rrr, aaa, www, etc.
    • xx (same as above, but gives you a vector2)
    • xy
    • yx
    • yxy
    • zxw
    • rab
    • bgra
    • etc.
    Swizzle nodes are a fast and relatively "cheap" way to rearrange components of a vector.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023