Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Implementing publications legal rights?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eqric, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Eqric

Eqric

Hi
    I planing on making an asset for Unity, i have an idea and i have done some research about the subject.I found a research-publication of a method that seems to be what i am looking for.
    Are you allowed to follow public publications for methods/algorithm and implement it and use it for commercial projects?

2. Mwsc

Mwsc

It depends.
    Are you allowed to read a paper that describes an algorithm, and then you implement the algorithm yourself? Yes of course, as long as the algorithm isn't patented. If the paper comes with code, are you allowed to cut and paste that code into your project? That would depend on the license, so check with the author. In any case, if you do use a research paper for anything, commercial or not, it is polite although not mandatory to contact the author to let him know.

3. goat

goat

Oh, they won't come after money from you unless you become rich. Most algorithms and such are patented in mass filings if they are made public. Hope for a wise and honest judge if this happens to you.

4. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

It depends what kind of research paper.

Most of the research papers miss so many steps that you can barely figure out what the original algorithms were, or methods to duplicate the original clinical trial (for medical algorithms).

If the algorithm is 100% your own implementation and do not refer to them, you should be safe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  5. Eqric

Eqric

Thanks for the input guys, i did as Mwsc said and i contacted the authors which said it was totally fine to follow their publication and wished me good luck on my project.

unityunity