Search Unity

Implementing ChatScript into Unity

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by florianveltman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. florianveltman

florianveltman

Hi there, this is my first post on the forums since up until now I was able to go by all the excellent threads around here already. I now need some help, and can't find anything already written about this.

I would like to integrate ChatScript into Unity. Have you played Double Fine's Little Pink Best Buds? The idea is that you interact with a bunch of characters walking around in a field by talking to them. I never thought it'd be possible to pull something like this off until I heard about this "game".

I'd love to experiment with this, as it sparks tons upon tons of ideas for game mechanics.

So I've been doing some research and came across Todd Kuebler's blog, where he explains how he converted a bunch of files from ChatScript into C# (ChatScript being in C++ I believe), and according to this thread where he talks to ChatScript's maker, he managed to get it working.

With the files provided on Todd Kuebler's blog, I've not managed to get things working, mainly because my programming knowledge is very basic and limited to what I learned using C# in Unity over the years. Also, I don't need ChatScript to run on a server at all, and don't know if this has an impact on the files Todd provided.

Basically, I want to know if, with the files Todd Kuebler generated and shared on his blog, there's a way to get ChatScript running inside Unity, and if so, what should I do to do so?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. florianveltman

florianveltman

I'm bumping this thread now that it's been a day and the thread went to the third page, I hope that's OK… If anyone has any idea?

3. JeffreyFisher

JeffreyFisher

A bit of a late reply. I assume that the issue is that ChatScript being compiled C++ has to be used as a plugin within Unity which requires a Pro license and also cannot be used in web builds. There are a large number of ChatBot tools that provide functionality similar to ChatScript though and some work in C#or JS. RiveScript is another I am looking at and it works in JS. If you are interested in the subject I'd suggest the resources at chatbots.org as a good starting place.

4. florianveltman

florianveltman

Thank you for replying! I put the chatbot project aside for now because of other projects, but as soon as I have more time I'll look into other chatbots then.

5. tenukii

tenukii

RavenMikal likes this.
  6. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

I'm actually interested, I used text to speech to give my ai's a voice, but its been very limited in regards to customiztion, and with the lack of selection, its not currently making for a good final option...

That looks interesting as hell...I'm reaching the end of my brains battery life, but I'm putting it on my list for tomorrow. Thanks!

7. DavidBurden

DavidBurden

Tenukii - really interested in the idea of a downloadable framework asset for Chatscript for Unity. Gradually making the transition form AIML based bots to chatscript ones and an asset would save a shed load of work. By the way did you ever do a part 2 of the post?

iuliaaa2110 likes this.
  8. iuliaaa2110

iuliaaa2110

I am looking for the same thing!! Did you find any solution by now ?