Search Unity

Implementation & best practice questions

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by glacius3000, Feb 26, 2015.

1. glacius3000

glacius3000

I took a look around the forum but couldn't find the answers to these questions.

Session length - when does it end? does it count session time when the app is suspended?
    new users count - is this per install or count unique device ids? if it is per install does that count updates? I'm seeing more new users than devices I have.

As for the data explorer. If I understand correctly, the data explorer counts keys and doesn't concern itself with values. If you want to take into account values then you have to use the funnel analyzer.

If I were to have an event called GameStart. I'm interested in seeing what difficulty the user started the game in. Which one of the two following methods is preferred (or maybe both are wrong).

V1
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityAnalytics.CustomEvent("GameStart", new Dictionary<string, object>
    2. {
    3. {"Difficulty", "Easy"}//value can be Easy Medium or Hard
    4. });
    or

V2
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityAnalytics.CustomEvent("GameStart", new Dictionary<string, object>
    2. {
    3. {"Easy", ""}//key can be Easy Medium Hard with the value being empty
    4. });
    V1 makes sense from a programmatical point of view but would require me to use the funnel analyzer, then download the csv to examine the data.

V2 would allow me to only use the data explorer but is kinda weird and can be hard to explain or talk about. However, it looks like you don't always want to be sending the same keys with an event, otherwise what's the point in counting event keys like the Data Explorer does.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Sessions end 30 minutes after an app is force quit or put into the background.

A new user is determined by a unique user/device ID.

V1 will be the right way to go once we've launched an upcoming project that will allow you to look at categorized event parameters. When it's ready, the Data Explorer will show you discrete counts of "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard" for the parameter "Difficulty" within the event "GameStart". That project is one of our highest priorities right now, so while I can't give you a specific delivery date, it's definitely coming soon.

For now, as you've correctly intuited, the best way to get at the information is to create funnels that match on the parameter values.

3. glacius3000

glacius3000

thanks for you insight!