Search Unity

Assets Impact Physics SFX and VFX System

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Cramonky, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Cramonky

Cramonky

Hi all!

Some of you guys may know me as the creator of PhysSound, which earlier last year I made free and open source.

Well, since then I've been working on a little something I kind of like to think of as PhysSound's big brother: Impact.

Impact is a system for playing audio and visual effects based on collisions between physics objects, plus arbitrary interactions like footsteps, bullet impacts, etc. To show off what it is capable of, here's a quick demo video:

I would love to hear any feedback on what kinds of features you guys would want out of a system like this! I'll try to regularly post here with updates until I release on the Asset Store.

Lastly, want to give a huge shout out to these Freesound.org users for providing awesome sounds that I use in the demo:
    - bsumusictech
    - ayliffe
    - cmusounddesign
    - thecityrings
    - adam-n
    - yoyodaman234
    - feedbackdesignz
    - tcrocker68
    - bruno-garcez
    - monte32
    - spyboticer
    - inspectorj
    - soundmarnus
    - galbenshire
    - shatterstars
    - morganpurkis
    - kinoton
    - worthahep88
    - cedarstudios
    - lolamadeus
    - anthousai
    - dmitryleeo

2. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

That's great, especially the SFX! :D

I would like more metal on metal, and sci fi laser on metal etc for medieval or scifi games...

3. Cramonky

Cramonky

Thank you! But I should clarify that, besides the sound effects included in the demo which you of course can use any way you'd like, Impact is BYOF (Bring Your Own Foley). So a comprehensive set of sounds is not going to be included, just the system for creating the materials and interactions to play the effects.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  4. Cramonky

Cramonky

Hi again!
    Did some good work on this over the past week, most notably:
    • Sliding and Rolling works now
    • Particle collisions
    • Ragdolls
    • Complex objects made of multiple materials
    I also made the demo scene a lot nicer, and I go through it in this video:

I've also started work on the documentation, I'm really wanting to get this released soon!

5. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Nice! Getting some Half-Life 2 vibes - always welcome in my book. :)

Cramonky likes this.
  6. olejuer

olejuer

Great work! Seems seems to be a great asset for VR where accurate SFX is very important for immersion. Just putting a few assets with nice foley in a scene to make some music on improvised instruments would be great fun. Feels like physics based SFX should be a built-in engine feature.

7. Cramonky

Cramonky

Hello once again!

I don't have any cool videos to show this time around, but I do have the first draft of Impact's user guide!

There are still a few sections that need to be added, but this draft covers the core functionality of the system. I would be really interested to hear thoughts and questions!

As far as a release, I think I am pretty close to having something I can release. I'm just trying my best not to succumb to feature creep and make sure all the essentials are in place.

manpower13 and Firlefanz73 like this.
  8. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

The option to use Unity events when certain objects collide would be useful. Is this possible?

9. Cramonky

Cramonky

It definitely is possible, but not yet implemented. I'm not sure if I will try to slide it into the initial release or save it for the next update.

Deckard_89 likes this.
  10. olejuer

olejuer

I remember you saying something about feature creep

11. Cramonky

Cramonky

Yep, I did say I was trying not to give in to feature creep :oops: (for the first release anyways). Adding in events would be relatively simple, though. More than likely I'll leave it for the version after release, I'm already starting to accumulate features I want to add.

12. keeponshading

keeponshading

Is this demo included.)

Just kidding.
    I am really interested to fire this sound events like shown in your video from a car , like the standard unity car.
    Is this easy possible.

13. Cramonky

Cramonky

As long as the car has a Rigidbody and receives OnCollisionEnter and OnCollisionStay messages, Impact's built in components will work out of the box.

Also now that you've reminded me of Animusic I think it would be really cool if that was recreated with Impact. I'm pretty sure it would be 100% possible out of the box too.

keeponshading likes this.