Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Imitation Learning isn't working as expected

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by luke90275, Apr 3, 2020.

1. luke90275

luke90275

First off, I am assuming that step 3 in offline training in https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mitation-Learning.md#recording-demonstrations is outdated. I therefore skipped this step. If this step is not outdates and I need to do something, please let me know.

I then followed the steps and wrote this is in the config file.

Code (csharp):
    1. Player 3 AI:
    2.     max_steps: 5.0e4
    3.     batch_size: 128
    4.     buffer_size: 2048
    5.     beta: 1.0e-2
    6.     hidden_units: 256
    7.     summary_freq: 2000
    8.     time_horizon: 64
    9.     num_layers: 2
    10.     behavioral_cloning:
    11.         demo_path: Assets/Demonstrations/demonstration 2.demo
    12.         strength: 1
    13.         steps: 200000
    Also the image of my agent script is attached at the bottom. However, when I train the

However, when training the agent, it doesn't seem to follow the behavior of the demonstration at all. I could understand needing more data for the demonstration, but it looks as if its just acting randomly, not even trying to match the demonstration. Also, I don't seem to understand why you would need to train an agent who is trying to duplicate a behavior (behavioral cloning)- wouldn't the agent have all of the data needed? Finally when I get the brain from the player, the actions are just as sporadic as when I'm training the agent. Is step 3 important? Am I configuring the config incorrectly? Do I just need more training data or even less vector observations (currently have 22)? Any other ideas? Should I try online training instead?

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. awjuliani

awjuliani

Unity Technologies

Hello,

The quality of the demonstration file is bound by how informative the observations being used are. If it is not possible to map from observations -> actions given the information provided, then it is unlikely that the agent can learn well from demonstrations. Can you provide a little more information about the problem and the way you have broken it into obs and actions?

3. radiantboy

radiantboy

I cant get imitation to work either, it doesnt follow the demo in the slightest. ML in general has been severely disappointing, cant even train a bot to play a simple 2d game.

4. ChillX

ChillX

Dude :) It takes patience and lots of time. :)

Notice you are trying to get behavior cloning to work with just one single demo recording ???

I get decent results for simple games when using 50 to 100 demo recordings.

Also try GAIL.