Search Unity

imageSynth?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by AGhost, Apr 27, 2007.

1. AGhost

AGhost

Hey,

I was looking at modo, when I came across imageSynth. I thought it looked quite interesting, but I was hesitant about the price. So I wanted to know if anyone else has used this technology and if it is:
    a) a good texture tool for use with Unity
    b) a good investment ($99 for a Photoshop plugin?)
    c) if it is a better to buy modo along with it (do they work better together)?

AGhost

2. Marble

Marble

I find it useful. It's easy and the results are usually good, especially if you spend a little time fine-tuning your texture by hand (instead of automatically generating it). On my 1Ghz G4 it is very slow, however.

3. AGhost

AGhost

Hey, My question is, do you have to play around with the texture afterwards (in order to fix it) or does the plug-in itself do all the work (i.e. in the example video I looked at, the shadows of one nail seemed to end at one point, which make the cut line obvious).
    Also is it worth it, or is it more use just to make the textures by hand (and save money).
    AGhost

4. Marble

Marble

It works best on noisy images like grass, concrete, dense wood grain etc. that aren't interrupted by a clear pattern. For these it can create a seamless texture all on its own, but for things like wood panels, you will have to guide it.

Usually you will have to do some work to get it right, but ImageSynth makes it somewhat easier to do touchup right in the plugin than it could be in Photoshop. The best way I've seen it used is when people ignore the automatic part of ImageSynth and place "chunks" of their source texture by hand. This way the plugin can blend together overlapping segments properly but let the user decide how to match up patterns such as streaks in marble, or floor tiles.

So no, the plugin is almost never good enough in completely automatic mode.