Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Imagespace Motion Blur now available!(Updated Demo 22.09)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by multivac, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Pulov

Pulov

Hi.

Looking at the uploaded demo have to say that translational blur does not feel like the blur I expected to occur during translation.

It remembers me the radial blur from photoshop and as it is a cool effect its not the kind of blur I would expect to happen during a drive at hight speeds or a low fly by with a jet.

The effect is quite maxed as a little translation causes a tremendous distorsion on the image creating a tunnel like blur that from my point of view does not disscriminate taking in mind the depth/distance of the objets, dont know if this has nothing to do with the "comented line" in the code. I also noticed some kind of vibration in the blurred objets with made the thing a bit weird.

Appart from the trans, the per objet motion blur looks gorgeous, in particular in the crazy moving capsule.

Hope that with the time the tranlational camera blur gets to a more interesting point.

[edit:checked the spelling>> was so terrible!]

2. multivac

multivac

yeah,it wasn't using depthmap yet,it is now,with controllable distance,so faraway objects aren't blurred.
    I'll update later tonight,once I have steerable blur in.
    about the mouse capturing-just use fullscreen,but i think K or L key hid the cursor.
    About the vibration-It is very noticable because the blur strength is set unnaturally high.Anyway,I can't really damp or smooth matrices,so some of it will always be there.

3. multivac

multivac

Updated demo and package.

Blur now steers its focus automatically based on camera velocity.Focus shifting speed is controlled by Strength parameter.
    Both Mblur and Zblur are now using depthmaps properly to blur nearby objects more.Controlled by Distance Multiplier,most of the time they should probably have same values on both scripts.
    Rotational Multiplier on Mblur controls rotational blur intensity.

4. Tinus

Tinus

I can see the depth influencing which parts of the screen get blurred, but it's all mirrored upside down. :wink:

5. multivac

multivac

try turning off the AA for the moment,the shaders aren't compatible with it yet and get flipped.
    EDIT: Actually,just redownload,it was a really simple fix,dunno why I kept putting it off so far.

6. Discord

Discord

You should really lock in the cursor for the demo. It's really hard to grab the bottles.

7. Pulov

Pulov

The corrected tranlational blur looks MUCH better!!!

8. Tinus

Tinus

Using depth is a very good improvement, bravo. :)

It does lead to the following problem for me:

The character is included in the blurring, even though it hardly moves in relation to the camera. The character is affected so strongly that things start to distort.

I'm thinking of putting the character on a separate layer, rendered by a different camera. But I'm worried that this solution will not scale well as the game's complexity goes up. Is there a better solution?

Edit: Err, sorry to keep pestering you, but there still seem to be compatibility problems with anti aliasing.

9. multivac

multivac

Sorry for not replying sooner.
    I don't think there's a way to mask off specific objects without an additional mask texture,or rendering them on another layer as you suggested.It blurs purely based on camera movement and doesn't know anything about scene geometry.
    I could use camera relative motion to character,but this would leave the static background unblurred too.
    I don't think using another layer would be too expensive,only a few drawcalls in most cases,but i haven't really experimented much with camera layering in Unity.
    Its seriously odd that AA still doesn't work.I guess you are on a Mac? I did debug OpenGL with -force-opengl on my Windows machine and it works fine.I'll look it over one more time.

10. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

I always get "A fatal error has occurred" when I try running the web player demo.

Using a MacBook Pro Mid 2010 revision.

EDIT *I was on my intel graphics card* Switched over to my nvidia one and it worked.

I guess it doesn't work with intel integrated graphics cards.

11. Tinus

Tinus

No problem. :)

Alright, sound like I was on the right track. I'll look into layering and see what happens.

As for AA: I'm on windows 7 actually. Made sure I have the latest drivers installed and everything. Also double checked that I had the latest version of your shaders (22-09-2010, 21:54 is the latest change shown).

12. Pulov

Pulov

Just tried to import it into Unity 3 30day trial for pro stuff I found this errors while importing CAMERA EFFECTS:

Assets/Camera Effects/OldCameraEffect.cs(77,17): error CS0103: The name `ImageEffects' does not exist in the current context

Assets/Camera Effects/CameraMBlurScript.js(101,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'ImageEffects'.

Assets/Camera Effects/CameraZoomBlurScript.js(69,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'ImageEffects'.

And following ones while imorting IMAGE MOTION BLUR

Shader error in 'Motion Blur/VertexLit': Parse error: syntax error at line 35
    Shader error in 'Motion Blur/Transparent/Cutout/VertexLit': Parse error: syntax error at line 38

and six ones similar to this
    There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/Image motion Blur/MotionBlur Shaders/Normal-BumpSpec.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Unitron and other text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

Just wanted to comment

13. Tinus

Tinus

I got some different errors in Unity3 Pro. No shader compilation errors, but one was about ImageEffects class being obsolete, instead it wants this:

Code (csharp):
    1. Graphics.Blit(source, destination, compositeMat);
    That got rid of the script errors, but now the shader is completely inert. I dare not venture into CG to check out those errors you got. ;)

Edit: Hey Multivac, I think the recurring mirroring bug might be a problem on my end or something. I'm saying this because I'm getting similar artifacts with Unity3's depth of field and even color correction shaders.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  14. multivac

multivac

I'm working on merging Daniel Brauer's much more technically competent and free Unity3 Motion Blur with mine,which is easier to customize and does some parts a bit better.
    Of course I can't sell someone else's work with good conscience so it will be free to everyone. :cool:

15. Pulov

Pulov

nice! >> dont forget in your latest release to mention our donations of hundred-thousands of dollar to this project ! :p

I think the compilation error I do have might be coming from the XP-64 I'm using, as far as I do get most of this compilation errors in previous unity too. But my previos unity was free and this is the unlocked pro for 30 days. Dunno.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome, can't wait for that. Good luck working on it ;)

17. Tinus

Tinus

Any luck? I'm all giddy with excitement. ;)

18. multivac

multivac

I am releasing the Unity 3.0 version.
    well,its not quite done yet,namely camera blur is jerky sometimes,but its still available here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10887020/MotionBlurU30.unitypackage
    camera info and motion blur script go on camera,for every object that needs blurring,assign script from custom menu on top bar,nothing else required.Camera Motion blur and Zoom blur work as they used to.
    again,this is largely work of Daniel Brauer,that I have modified.
    His thread is here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/61133-Motion-blur-for-Unity-3

19. multivac

multivac

person who paid from email address paypal@cyberversion.com,your email address is unreachable ,please PM me (add your name for verification )

20. Pulov

Pulov

Yup. Due to the forum change and the lost to thread subscriptions I lost the track of many projects such as this one. Nice to know that it is still alive. Love this motion blur effect.

21. Pulov

Pulov

Hi. Rotational blur is working prety nicely, but traslational bloor behabes as a "static"blur, its like a blur filter wich seems not to be affected by the traslation speed of the vehicle.... So once defined the strenght it is the same for al speeds... Anyone else facing same problems?

22. cemC

cemC

good work

23. chkkll

chkkll

hey there,
    i'm an old customer, i have donated for your 2.6 shaders in the past, so is this new update free for me too? lol.. i loved ur shaders in 2.6 and i used them pretty much everywhere.. it was a sad moment when i realized they dont work in unity 3+ :)
    the link you've previously sent me still works.. is it ıpdated with the new version?
    tnx again for the great shader..

24. zappapa

zappapa

Does this Motion Blur script still work with the current version of Unity. Downloaded it but I didn't see any result after I did "camera info and motion blur script go on camera,for every object that needs blurring,assign script from custom menu on top bar,nothing else required." Am I missing something? It should work with terrains as well I guess? I saw this in the Volo video!

25. kenzacal

kenzacal

hi, i just donated, whats next?

26. Tinus

Tinus

Ouch, I don't think Multivac is working on this particular set of shaders anymore. I hope I'm wrong though, I could still use some motion blur for my game, and he was definitely heading in the right direction.

27. multivac

multivac