Search Unity

Bug Images Broken in Bolt 1.4 online Manual

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by metaphysician, Apr 13, 2021.

1. metaphysician

metaphysician

hi Unity/Ludiq folks - this probably has been mentioned before - i saw a post about in Dec of last year, but the images are totally broken for the manual in the latest downloadable version of Bolt on the Asset Store (1.4). if anyone decides to use Unity 2020.3 LTS and installs Bolt this way the installation setup leads them to this broken documentation.

so, i realize that you're likely focusing on the Tech Stream and integrating it into Unity 2021 but i would think it's likely that folks would like to utilize Bolt, and pointing them to a manual for a visual scripting asset with exactly ZERO images in it, is really bad form especially for a version of Unity that is supposed to be useful and stable for a while (yes i realize it's external to Unity but still...)

newer and less technical users to Unity will be floundering as soon as they download the product install it and click the button for the online manual. i do know that the 2019.3 documentation has a section covering Bolt that is fine and shows images but this really shouldn't take a lot of effort to fix.

2. metaphysician

metaphysician

aaaaand one week later it looks like Unity apparently doesn't seem care about supporting this current version of Bolt, while the rest of you are too busy discussing whether the visual scripting in the Tech Stream should be more like Bolt 2.0 or based off of Bolt 1.0 which again, has BROKEN documentation for version 1.4 the most recent and stable version. got it. guess i won't recommend it to my students at this point.

3. I just tried it, all the downloaded, in package documentation work on windows 10 (using Chrome browser as a PDF viewer).
    Example:
    screenshot1.png
    Opened from here:
    screenshot2.png

4. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, I looked at the internal documentation in the asset store version for Bolt 1.4.13 and 1.4.15(current latest version), and everything is fine. you can also look at the online documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/bolt/1.4/manual/bolt-units.html

If you can use Unity version 2021.1f1 and more, you can use the unity visual scripting package instead as the Bolt asset store file will only get support for bug fixes in the future.

5. metaphysician

metaphysician

@ericb_unity sorry about the testiness - i'm on macOS High Sierra and using Safari and latest Firefox and just tried latest Chrome as well. in Safari i get question marks in place of missing images but in Firefox i just get nothing. well, not exactly nothing - the GIFs do seem to load though in Chrome they like to blank out. here's a screencap using that page loaded on all three browsers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iql56fq8h5skwco/screentest-BoltDocs-NoPictures.mp4?dl=0

so for me i'm not seeing anything on the online documentation. i did try the PDF documentation like Lurking Ninja used and it works opening it in Preview and in browser, although there's definitely weird page breaks that split the images. at least they are visible though, so it's an improvement. also i'm not having issues with any other Unity online documentation that i'm aware of - just this one.

i'm having mixed thoughts on whether to use Bolt 1.4 or the Unity Visual Scripting. at the moment i'm not yet on Unity 2021 because i thought it would be a better idea to avoid the (constantly changing) Tech Stream and stay on the stable LTS version of 2020.3. i'm working on updating an online course and debating about using visual scripting but i do not want the documentation to be out of date a year later, and to me it looks like the Unity visual scripting package will likely change visually and functionally a lot in that time. am i right on this assumption? your thoughts appreciated!

6. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

Yeah, Bolt documentation came with gif and it is not well supported everywhere when used in unity documentation, we are doing pass in the documentation to replace gif to png to fix the issues you see.

I can totally understand your issue of stability.

For the changes, we are putting huge efforts to finish to change Bolt naming, icons workflows to be as close as possible to what Unity visuals scripting DOTS was working on. The problem with this is that you will see two different naming nothing too hard to wrap around.
    Ex:
    - Units -> Nodes
    - Super Unit -> Subgraph
    - Flow Graph -> Script Graph

At least 2 different graph visual as we pass from Bolt that doesn't align to the unity theme and after doing the alignment, we port graphs to our internal UI toolkit tech used everywhere in the editor.

As of functionally, it should not be an issue.

Asset Store Version 1.4+:

upload_2021-4-22_13-46-29.png

Package version:

upload_2021-4-22_13-45-57.png

7. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

8. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

I have been looking at this for the first time today. It is just as metaphysician says: the pictures are broken. They flicker on an off during the animation.