Search Unity

Image Tracking

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by SpiderJones, Jan 25, 2019.

1. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

Hi,

I'm working on an app uses image tracking to place a 3d object and "attach" it to the real life image (nothing new). I have playing cards that when detected by the device display a 3d object. In the past I've used ARToolKit for this, but I think that's been shut down. Vuforia seems very pricy for simple image tracking, I know it does a lot more and so the price makes sense for the full suite of features. Same for Wikitude.

Can someone recommend a solution?

I don't need to upload images to a remote server, the images are a fixed amount. I'm thinking of using OpenCV and this example -> https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ar-example-77560?aid=1011l4ehR&utm_source=aff

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

3. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes, the example I shared requires the purchase of OpenCV which is $90, but much less than Vuforia.

EasyAR is free, but the pro version is as much as Vuforia. And it looks like I would need the pro version since I need to track a dozen different images, not simultaneous, but there are 12 potential cards to look for.

4. hungvt_unity

hungvt_unity

bump! any updates on this? could you find any solutions?

5. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

I used Unity's ARFoundation for image tracking, it's working very well for us.

hungvt_unity likes this.