Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Image.alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold Not Working Correctly

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by emrys90, Apr 10, 2017.

1. emrys90

emrys90

So I'm trying to use alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold so that players can only drag item icons where there isn't any transparency. It ignores all the transparent regions without any issues at all. The problem is though that there's areas of the image that are not transparent and its ignoring those. I'm using it like this:
    image.alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold = 0.001f;

How can I fix this?

justcallmeb likes this.
  2. methos5k

methos5k

Did you set the image to read/write and disable atlasing of the sprite? I've never used this function, but did a quick read through the guide and saw those to point out just in case.

Bakanovskiy95 likes this.
  3. emrys90

emrys90

I think so. Here's the import settings.
    upload_2017-4-11_9-32-34.png

4. methos5k

methos5k

That part looks good.. I can take another (wild) guess. Is this sprite/image inside a container or any kind ?
    You could try a higher alpha. In the photo it looks mostly (full / none - though there may be a few pixels on the edges i can't readily see). Try to set the threshold at "0.4f" :)

5. emrys90

emrys90

Yes, it is a child of other objects. I've tried it as the root object under a canvas though to see if that made a difference and it didn't.

My understanding is the lower that number is than the more it includes in the check for valid positions. So a value of 0.001 should include pretty much everything except for what is completely transparent, but it doesn't. My problem is I can have the mouse over the axe blade but it doesn't register it.

EDIT:
    The source of the method does this:
    return activeSprite.texture.GetPixelBilinear(x, y).a >= alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold;
    So my thinking is either GetPixelBilinear is returning the wrong value, or how it calculates x,y is wrong.

6. methos5k

methos5k

is that the code verbatim? I think this setting is used to say if the image is "clickable". From the example document I read, they assign a value to an image that is linked (and part of a button).
    Do you assign it like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Image myImage;
    2. void Awake(){
    3.    myImage = GetComponent<Image>();
    4.    myImage.alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold = (value);
    5.    }
    6. // later on, refer to test against myImage.alphaHitTestMinimum ?
    Back to the part about the "0.4f" wouldn't that still be pretty darn accurate on the photo you shared/posted?
    And lastly, if you only want to return a pixel if it's alpha is over a certain value, since you're checking anyways, you could just put the value right there in your check instead of the variable.

7. emrys90

emrys90

8. methos5k

methos5k

Ah okay, sorry you're subclassing Image?

9. emrys90

emrys90

No, I am not. This is my code.
    GameObject icon = GameObject.Instantiate(PlayerInventoryUI.Instance.ItemIconPrefab);
    icon.name = template.name + " (ItemIcon)";

Image image = icon.GetComponent<Image>();
    image.sprite = template.Sprite;

// Do not allow raycasting on fully transparent portions of the image
    image.alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold = 0.001f;

10. emrys90

emrys90

It appears to be a bug on Unity's end. I copied their code into a component I could use and debug logged the x,y coordinates that it generated in that method, and they were the wrong coordinates for where the mouse was.

11. methos5k

methos5k

lol I just spent like 40 mins trying to sort this out.. It was really horrible :)
    You can create your own filter to test for the alpha value of the pixel, but ya.. I couldn't get it to work at all ;) Sorry. haha

12. kilelr

kilelr

face the same problem which alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold not working... manage to solve it by adding in many 0.01 alpha in photoshop... not sure why

13. Manumoi

Manumoi

Hello ran into the same issue. Made some tests and as emrys90 said in a previous post, it seems the function receives inadequate mouse coordinates. On the attached screenshot :
    - the blue image size is defined by its anchors but stretched, and I apply alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold on it.
    - Purple points are successful clicks that reach the background image (ie, the raycast is not blocked by the blue image).
    I tried clicking randomly here and there and realised the "mask" location seems to be shifted... I was first testing on version 5.5.1f1, installed to 5.6.1f1 but the problem remains. Hope they fix it soon.

Attached Files:

14. FunRobDev

FunRobDev

Same issue here. Seems that pixels reported "shifted" during hit-test as much as the coordinates of the first top-left-most non-transparent pixel in the image. Or coordinates of the bottom-left-most non-transparent pixel.
    So if you put a 2x2 pixel into the top-left corner of your image and also into the bottom-left corner (2x2 again, becaues 1x1 pixel not enough) then then the bug is "hidden" so everything works perfectly.

Cachete likes this.
  15. FunRobDev

FunRobDev

Hi again! Found a real solution: pixels won't be shifted IF you change the texture's import properties: MeshType = from Tight to FullRect. According to the Unity help on SpriteMeshType is:

FullRect = Rectangle mesh equal to the user specified sprite size.
    Tight = Tight mesh based on pixel alpha values. As many excess pixels are cropped as possible.

That explains our problem: if we use Tight, then alpha=0 pixels on the four edges are cut off, this is why the coordinates get shifted by the alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold bug. That's it :)

Another good advice, what I found out:
    If you create a sprite (or lots of sprites), don't use the default constructor with few parameters, but use the one below, because here you can pass the SpriteMeshType.FullRect at the last parameter, which speeds up sprite creation by 10000%, because I guess, the sprite is not scanned for alpha=0 pixels, just will be create in its full size. And you can avoid the alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold bug again.

Sprite.Create(
    texture,
    new Rect(0, 0, texture.width, texture.height),
    new Vector2(0, 0),
    pixelsPerUnit:100,
    extrude:0,
    meshType:SpriteMeshType.FullRect); // Note SpriteMeshType.FullRect speeds up +10000%

God Bless

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  16. cwbeta

cwbeta

Awesome! Solves my problem and the explanation is reasonable!

endlessroadtodeath likes this.
  17. methos5k

methos5k

Nice to see an answer all this time later :)

18. Bip901

Bip901

Awesome, you saved me :) Love you so much!

19. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Thanks - it works.

20. Thom_Denick

Thom_Denick

Dude, thanks so much.

entropicjoey1 likes this.
  21. temresen

temresen

God Bless you dude!

22. Keseren

Keseren

You really helped me! Thanks!

23. Wizmix

Wizmix

Thanks! You saved some time here bro :)

Rob-A likes this.
  24. wasifkhan

wasifkhan

It works for me.

25. ERICdb

ERICdb

You are a god sent! I've been trying to fix the problem for the last 2h to no avail. It turns out that your solution is exactly the one i needed. Thank you!

26. MrDizzle26

MrDizzle26

Fixed my issue, you da best!

27. hk1ll3r

hk1ll3r

Anyone have any idea why the "alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold" field is missing from the documentation since 2019.1? Is this getting deprecated? I can still use it in 2019.4.

Siccity, bobby55 and guneyozsan like this.
  28. entropicjoey1

entropicjoey1

Thank you!

29. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Aaaannnddd, this does not work with filled images

Fressbrett likes this.
  30. Fressbrett

Fressbrett

Also seems not to work for sliced images

barsukovdn84 likes this.
  31. guneyozsan

guneyozsan

I'm also here curious of this.

32. Rob-A

Rob-A

This is the actual solution to the problem. But still probably unity could fix this.

33. bagmanio

bagmanio

Ok, guys! I found the following. If you use crunched compression (DXT5 Crunched, ETC Crunched) then
    alphaHitTestMinimumThreshold starts to glitch if you switch to non-crunched texture compression (RGBA, ETC) then it works.

34. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

Wow thanks a million

35. Bfahome

Bfahome

Wondering if there's ever been a fix for this, or a solution that I've been unable to find somehow. Would be very good to know for what I'm working on right now.

36. Bfahome

Bfahome

I think I may have found the cause of the issue, or at least the issue I was encountering. If you have a sliced image you may need to mess with the "Pixels Per Unit" of the sprite itself and the "Pixels Per Unit Multiplier" on the image component you have it in. A ratio of 2/100 was giving me an apparently stretched raycast target, 1/200 reduced the apparent stretch, and 0.5/400 was a bit too squished. Right now a ratio of 0.7/287.5 seems to match my image fairly well and be close to the needed ratio. I'll add this to the ticket I opened with Unity about the subject to see if this is in fact what's causing the issue.

37. Infos2

Infos2

You are my life saver. Spent a lot of time on this bug. Thanks a lot.