Search Unity

I'm writing this thread in VR thanks to Oculus Dash...

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by VRARDAJ, Dec 7, 2017.

1. VRARDAJ

VRARDAJ

It was possible to do multi-tasking like this across apps with virtual desktop and Bigscreen, but Oculus Dash makes it much more seamless than before.

I can now access a web browser or my Visual Studio project codebase as an overlay WITHOUT LEAVING Unity EditorXR. It's friggin' sweet!

But...

It's a little cumbersome out of the box. I hope the UnityXR team will look closely at the multi-tasking workflows between EditorXR, Oculus Dash, and other third party apps we commonly use in conjunction w/ Unity (Viz Studio/Maya/web browser/etc.). I know this stuff is all fresh off the presses, so there's no way to have planned for it beforehand. That said, in-headset multi-tasking is finally here and the community has been craving it for a while so please, please, please place a high priority on getting it to operate smoothly in Unity.

The biggest challenge right now is that EditorXR takes over mouse control in Unity. This would be okay if I could do everything I need to do in Unity via EditorXR, but we're not there yet. Before, I would simply have no other choice but to turn off EditorXR and take off the headset. Dash exists now to eliminate the need for that, but if I fire up Dash in order to access the 2D Unity Editor, there are many Inspector features that do not respond to mouse click unless I turn off EditorXR. This seems like it would probably be a quick fix. This fix alone would unlock a vast majority of Unity's features and help us stay in headset almost all of the time. Those of us who dev VR/AR full-time are hungry for this.

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

I haven't tried out EditorXR w/ Dash yet, but here was something I noticed in Studio Transcendent's newsletter that you could try:

"The mouse cursor is not visible in the beta, but an easy workaround is to go to the Windows Mouse Control Panel and turn on Cursor Trails with the minimum length setting. However, the mouse is still not visible on torn off windows, only on the main desktop, and you have to use the Touch controller to make the torn off windows active. Clearly Oculus had a “Touch first” mindset when working on the feature, trying to make all the interactions work well entirely through the Touch controllers (you press and hold to emulate right-click)."

3. VRARDAJ

VRARDAJ

Sorry, I should have specified - when I say "mouse click" I'm under the assumption that mouse click is equivalent to Touch trigger, since they act the same in Dash for most applications. It's Touch input in the 2D Inspector that I'm after. For example, when I select the name of a selected game object in its 2D inspector window with a Touch controller, the game object deselects itself. I can't seem to find a reasonable way to change the name of a new game object in EditorXR. There are many other examples like this. Each is a small nuisance, but they add up. Most seem to be associated with the 2D inspector not being ready to handle Touch input.