Search Unity

I'm writing a plugin that uses Analytics REST API, but can't afford to buy Pro

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Axonn, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axonn

Axonn

Hello :). I'm writing a plugin that will use Analytics REST API to get some data for subscribers of a Pro version. The only problem is... I don't know anybody that can borrow me a Pro key to test the API with.

Is there any test endpoint over at Unity where one could get some mock data from the Analytics REST API?

Thank you in advance :)

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Which REST API are you referring to? The Raw Data Export API is not meant to be used in a game, every user would be repeatedly downloading the same data from our servers and you would need to embed admin credentials in your game. RDE is for you the developer to analyze game play statistics by downloading the raw events into your own local database. If you want to make that available to your users somehow ("how many new players today") then you would create a web service where you the developer use RDE to populate your service and make it available. Or look at other leaderboard services that are designed for this. And "borrow a Pro key"? I'm pretty sure that is against the Terms of Service.

Axonn likes this.
  3. Axonn

Axonn

Hi Jeff! :). Thanks for answering. Sorry, I got my brain mixed up yesterday :D. I wanted to say "application" not "plugin". It's not meant to run in Unity itself, but as a helper tool for a developer of a Unity game.

The client, a Unity Pro subscriber, can run this application to get their analytics data. The purpose of the application is perform some unique analysis on the data.

The client would use their API Key from their Unity Pro account to use the application. The key would never make it to me, of course.

But to do all this, I need some mock demo/test endpoint which spits out some mock data in the same format the REAL one does.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

A user/client cannot get their analytics data as you suggest. That data would be available on your dashboard only. My previous statements apply.

Axonn likes this.
  5. Axonn

Axonn

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

That requires that you the developer have a Pro license. Your customers are running your app which is generating Analytics calls. Regardless there isn't a REST API that retrieves only a single user data. As mentioned, the only way this will work if you the developer use the REST API from your server, process and extract the per-user data in your database, and then make this available via a web service (don't allow your customers to connect directly to a database)

7. Axonn

Axonn

Oh, thanks again for a prompt, pre-weekend response.

The customer would then give my application access to their data by entering their project ID and API key right?

From your answer, should I understand that both me and the customer require Pro access?

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No, the Analytics in RDE are for YOUR application, not other Unity games this user would be running. Do not use RDE in a game or your component. Locking this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.