Search Unity

Feedback I'm working in a 2D MOBA in pixel art style - it's totally online - need feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Rockaso, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Rockaso

Rockaso

Edit, new gameplay footage:

Hi there

It's been 1 year now since I started the development of a 2D MOBA game in pixel art style,
    I still need to finish 20 more heroes and the neutral monsters from the jungle,

But before moving forward I recorded a brief video of the current Alpha state looking for some feedback as I'm starting to wonder if people will like it, so here I am sharing this brief video:

Any feedback is really needed and appreciated, like do you like the style, do you like the idea? etc,
    Making this online game it's been very tough because you have to thing on client, server, authoritative stuff, networked physics and such, so before I go deeper I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you see.

thanks in advance

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Mauri and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli

That looks like a lot of fun! I wouldn’t mind playing every now and then if I had the time. Sucks being an adult sometimes :D too much prioritizing.

Looks a bit rough around the edges visually, but since it is an overall thing, I take it is a feature rather than a fault.

Creatures spawn automatically without player involvement? Or can a player call creatures?

3. Rockaso

Rockaso

Hi there thanks for the response :)
    About the art being visually rough, yes it's the artist's style, with a pixel art goal in mind.
    About the creatures spawn, only lesser minions will spawn, the bigger ones will spawn if you take third tower in lane...
    About being an adult, yeah I understand, but I really appreciate you taking the time to watch the video and give feedback, The fun should begin when you fight 5v5 :)

taistelusopuli likes this.
  4. spawnpointgaming

spawnpointgaming

Hey Rockaso!

Your game looks great and i would love to get my hands on it!
    Meanwhile,as a review you can work on these few things:
    • Modify your Inventory i:e you can increase the size of the icons and add info button to explain the item.
    • The Inventory Hotbar is great idea, i think only 3 items will be more than enough if you increase the item icon size.
    • Map on the bottom left can be replaced by Zoom In and Out.
    • Sound is something that can be worked on like adding some new sounds for each monsters / enemy.
    P.S. - These are some opinions just by looking at the game, if you would like me to give it a try for Beta Testing, Do drop me an email at spawnpoint2019@gmail.com.

I and my good friend are QA Testers and we love tying out new games!

Hope it helps.
    Do let us know if you need any help regarding testing, we will be more than happy to do so.

Thanks!

5. mgear

mgear

random comments:
    - health bars could be hidden if its full or not decreasing/regenerating
    - tooltips on inventory objects would be nice (and even better if it shows whether this object is better than you are currently using)
    - maybe allies could have green health bars
    - minimap, fog of war could be interesting, cannot see un-visited areas
    - more particles (for hit effects, fireball smoke trail etc)
    - maybe some very thin projected arrow trajectory / direction preview line, as mouse cursor bit hard to see (this could be from skill or used item too)
    - levelup effect should be awesome
    - light effect seems to apply only for that background tree, not ground?
    - skillbar could show which key is bind to it (like path of exile shows numbers or keys)
    - i'd shoot those mushrooms, or destroy some of the rocks or other deco too (for small food/coins/loot perhaps)
    - xbox controller support? (maybe difficult to add since it uses mouse a lot..)
    - minimap could be without background, or otherwise simplified (path of exile overlay map is nice with tab to toggle)

6. Rockaso

Rockaso

Hi there!, Thanks a lot for your comments,
    I'm glad you liked how it looks and am sure you will like the competitive scene around the game once it's deployed,
    About your comments:
    About the size of the inventory, are you talking about the Shop? At the beginning of the video what you see is the Shop window where you can buy items; once they are bought, they appear on the lower left corner of the screen.
    About 3 items, I'm following the scheme of League of Legends where they have 6 slots, but it's interesting to think about less slots as it would make it more simple.
    About the map zoom in/out, that's an interesting feature, thank you for suggesting.
    Great idea! I will work on different sounds for each monsters - would you limit monsters sound for when they die?

About QA Tester, that's really interesting, and I'm really interested, as I have a hard time making the tests on my own in a 5v5 game :p

Right now it's possible to make tests in the Alpha state, but only 1 Hero is available, I would like to hear more about the QA Testing, so I can prepare a Build release where more heroes are available, should take about 2 months from now on, is there a cost associated? I have sent an email to you to that direction.

Thank again

7. Rockaso

Rockaso

Wow thanks a lot for the suggestions, they are gold to me.
    I will put them to practice and come back to you to show you the results.

Thanks a lot!!!

8. Rockaso

Rockaso

Just added a new gameplay footage.
    Thank you all for the feedback, work in progress!