Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm unable to paint tiles

Discussion in '2D' started by FriendlyRussian666, Apr 4, 2020.

1. FriendlyRussian666

FriendlyRussian666

It's my first time doing anything in Unity. I'm trying to paint isometric tiles, but it's not working. I followed this tutorial ->
    and at this timestamp, he simply clicks on the Tile Palette selecting the tile he wants to use and then he is able to paint over the grid. When I do that, nothing happens, nothing gets painted.

I've been trying to do this for the past hour, closing and opening again, doing it all over again multiple times, making sure I follow each step and I just can't get it to work. I'm really frustrated.

Here's how I have it set up -> https://imgur.com/Gpi9BC8

What am I missing?

2. Valjuin

Valjuin

The tutor goes through the Tile Palette window showing you what each tool does. You will note that he selects the Paintbrush Tool to paint tiles onto the grid in the Scene. Your image shows you have the Erase Tool selected in the Tile Palette.

3. FriendlyRussian666

FriendlyRussian666

Thank you for the reply. It shows the eraser indeed, but I tried with the brush tool. It simply doesn't paint. I tried different types of tiles from different packages also. Still doesn't work.

4. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Based on your image of the Tile Palette, it seems that your Tiles are far larger than the Grid. You will need to pick the Tiles from the location they are on rather than based on the visual image of the Tile.

Ideally, you would have set up the Grid so that each cell matches a Tile as close as possible. You could do this by:

Jamisco likes this.
  5. TheAlmostGreat

TheAlmostGreat

Hey Everyone,

I am also experiencing the same issue, however, I have resized the tiles properly etc. Nothing paints, and I've also followed the Unity manuals and tutorials. I've set the rendering Transparency axis to be (0,1,-.26) as well.

When I select the tile with my cursor, then hit brush, then paint in scene, nothing happens.

*Edit: I did nothing but it suddenly worked.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  6. hungrycheerio

hungrycheerio

Hey, for anyone looking at this in the future, I had this same problem. I think it has to do with the size of your tiles vs. the cell size of the grid. Originally, I thought it wasn't painting anything, and then I zoomed in and it had painted extremely small tiles in the middle of each space so try resizing your grid cellSize or your tile size.

Edit: It worked for me. What I did was i deleted the palette and re-imported it, DO NOT automatically set cell size. Instead, select MANUAL and set it to the size of your tiles in the png. Ex. I set mine to 8 x 8. For me it resized everything and now I see my tiles so. Also, the image uploaded with all of the red is where I was painting in frustration and nothing was showing up. The red is simply where Unity is showing that the tile asset is missing because I deleted the tile set and redid everything.

Attached Files:

AaronMeal likes this.
  7. rgvillan

rgvillan

In your Tile Palette, use the pick tool (eye dropper icon) to confirm that the tile you want to paint with is actually selected.

8. jnzhuang

jnzhuang

I had a same problem, but the reason was that I forgot to create 2D tile map.
    (Hierarchy --> right click --> 2D Object --> Tilemap)

9. MelappGames

MelappGames

I think for me the problem was just that the tilemap in the hierarchy was not selected. After clicking on it (the inspector window for the tilemap came up) I was then able to paint on the scene.

10. Judozwerg

Judozwerg

That was my problem too. Thanks anyway to everyone who helped :)

11. Madsen87

Madsen87

Well, if anyone stumbles upon this problem again, I had a problem with the pivot of the sprites... I actually had to select the square above the sprites to actually be able to paint with the sprite below (go figure).

12. dorothyevewatson

dorothyevewatson

OMG thank you so much!

13. Dipherent

Dipherent

I had the same issue, and it was a rather easy fix if nothing above has fixed it for you.

In your palette, you may have selected "Edit" at some point, this will be indicated by an * - after the word "Edit"
    just click "Edit" again, press b to select brush tool, select the tile you want to paint and go at it.

14. spainpenguincubes

spainpenguincubes

THANK YOU!!! THAT WAS IT

15. jeremagi

jeremagi

Same symptom, two problems:
    1. I had the Game tab clicked in the scene window. Click the Scene.
    2. The Edit mode as mentioned above was enabled.

Wow. Confusing.

MrSour1 likes this.
  16. TomNCatz

TomNCatz

As a note, if you create your tilemap before you have made your tile set, tile palette, and tiles, then there does not seem to be anything you can do to get it to paint on that tilemap ever.

I was able to fix this by deleting my tilemap and making a new one once I had my tile palette set up

zakwhr likes this.
  17. Mani_Dev

Mani_Dev

that fixed it for me, thanks

18. scottygavin

scottygavin

I found that the sprite was being drawn much smaller inside a correctly sized cell. I resolved this by increasing the Grid's Transform Scale and setting the Grid component Cell Size to 1.

Probably not a correct solution but may help troubleshoot.

19. JustBunnyS

JustBunnyS

Guys I solved the problem myself. Make sure you added Tile map to your scene and make sure you select the eye drop icon in your tile palette than select asset you want in the palette. It is automatically gonna select your brush and you are good to go. I F***ing solved it in 1 hour I hope this helps you

jeremtrue likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

don't swear please

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can try opening the parent 'Grid' and select your tilemap

22. noneforyou

noneforyou

Yo thanks

23. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Thank you all for the feedback regarding the Tile Palette Edit Mode!

So we recently made some changes in 23.1 and one of them is for the Tile Palette Edit Mode. So when the Edit Mode is enabled, the background of the Tile Palette grid changes to dark blue (similar to the background color in Prefab mode). When the editing is done and the Edit Mode is disabled, the grid background changes once again back to the usual grey.

This is so to provide clearer visual feedback and distinction to help users determine if the Edit Mode is on/off (accidentally or not).

Some may find this concept familiar as there exists similar behaviours in other parts of the Editor such as the GameObject/Prefab Mode switch and also the Editor Edit Mode/Play Mode switch (when configured).

Hope this was helpful! We are continuing improving our Tilemap tools and workflows and all of your feedback helps a lot!

24. GutsyArchitect

GutsyArchitect

For anyone who reeads down this far, for me it was simply changing from a tilemap component to a tilemap renderer component on my gameobject

25. blizzardbound

blizzardbound

I got the same issue. I can't believe that the fix is this easy. Apparently when creating your TileMap, a Grid is also created in your scene. I don't know why but the TileMap MUST be a child of the Grid. In the hierarchy, if you simply drag your TileMap under Grid, you should be able to paint. I'm guessing that the reason it didn't do this automatically is because I created the TileMap under another object (my Environment empty).

26. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You may wish to brush up on your documentation reading skills.

For instance in here:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Tilemap-Palette.html

there are at least two places that mention this requirement, one that talks about initial creation and the other that specifies the requirement.

I quote from the above:

...and it must have a Grid component on its topmost GameObject...

27. joaopcm

joaopcm

Also if you are still having this issue, try restarting Unity. That did it for me.

28. Wildrobotmaker

Wildrobotmaker

I am having a similar issue but where it only paints on the tile palette but not on the actual grid of the 2d map.

29. Rock76

Rock76

I struggled with this for over an hour... Restarting unity did the trick...