Search Unity

I'm trying to find simple method top paint the basic 3D shapes that come with Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DoomerDGR8, May 4, 2017.

1. DoomerDGR8

DoomerDGR8

Hi!

I was recently prototyping a shooter like the game and wondered if I could draw an extremely basic smiley face on my player represented by a simple Capsule. That way, when the player would spin around, there would be a sense of rotation. I don't know much of Photoshop but I did try with a 512x512 transparent PNG made with Paint.Net having a very sorry excuse of a mouth and two ugly eyes. But no matter how I applied the material, it just wouldn't fit and also keeps repeating/tiling. After Googling for a while, results started to point more towards blender and that application is currently out of my hobbyist-league.

Any suggestions?

2. HemiMG

HemiMG

I don't know how the UV mapping is setup for capsules, but a quick way to let you see the direction it is facing is to just parent a smaller capsule to it, rotated 90 degrees, to form a nose.

Socrates, Kiwasi, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need any 3d program that is capable of 3d unwrapping.
    Meaning, that ideally you'd want to pick basics of blender 3d or somethign similar.

If you don't want to do that, you could indicate nose/direction with a child shape.

4. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'm not sure if the default capsule is even UV unwrapped, but if it is, you should be able to line up the face by tweaking the UV offset parameters in the material you have applied to the capsule.

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It is unwrapped. just slap a texture on, and it works fine.
    face_ref.jpg

Texture:
    face.png

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

i commonly have seen ppl parenting a rectangle to it, like a gun

but whatever works

LOL ive never put a texture on a primitive, nice to know it just works... i woulda imagined it would anyway lol