Search Unity

I'm still beginner level and would like to discuss the "How to" of my game project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Null_DreiAcht, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Null_DreiAcht

Null_DreiAcht

Hi, I'm a 2nd year college student in the domain of electronics and I recently started to work on my 3rd year project. I want to make a Toy-to-life game in order to learn more about RFID technologies and other things.

I've started using Unity around 2-3 years ago, but I never went far with any projects and still consider myself a beginner.

As far as the RFID side goes, I'm currently looking into it, but what I want to discuss is how to manage the game character(s) and the summoning process.
    • The whole character summoning (RFID/NFC reading, etc.) would work asynchronously.
    • There's an empty player object, which got a playable character append to it when the tag is read
      • I think by doing so, everytime I swap between two characters, it shouldn't "reset" the player orientation (which direction they are facing). For example, I'm going north-east, my character HP hits 0, I change for a different character and he still face toward the north-east instead of another direction.
    • All characters are prefab with some sorts of "character manager" scripts that do the following:
      • By default, the stats of the prefabs are "0", but are overwrited with the values stored on the tag. Same goes for money and exp. The only exception is "Level" which is "1" by default.
      • The character abilities are booleans (Did the player unlocked the ability Yes (True) or No (False)), since a boolean value should take less place on the tag.
      • Character texture could also be manage through boolans or, else, maybe through an ID. It would allow to use the same prefab with a different color scheme. However, I don't think of doing the extra work to make variants of the same characters. Might do it if I have the time though.
      • Achievements could also work with booleans. (If I actually do the extra work to add those, which I may not)
        • The tag would save the value X and the game would use that information through an "achievement manager" to change the value of the boolean from 0 to 1.
        • However, I remember that each skylanders have an achievement unique to each of them. For example:
          • The character Ignitor has an achievement based on the distance he traveled while using his flame form.
          • While Stealth Elf unique achievement is to get 1000 HP (most likely by consuming recovery items) while in stealth.
      • Any change to the value of the character only affect the character manager in use. For the prefab, the info remains as default.
    Do you think somethings incorrect with my current logic or there's a clever way to do it?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Any design can seem reasonable from a reasonable description of it. That's why so many people run up to me (and other game developers) and say "I HAVE THIS GREAT IDEA FOR A GAME!"

Where you actually can vet any design or concept is in the implementation.

For something with a real-world interface like RFID, be sure to isolate and control ALL access to that, because that's the kind of thing that will give you endless grief if you do it poorly and connect it all over the place in your game.

Ideally the entire connection between ALL parts of the game and the RFID subsystem would be a single function called in a single place, nothing more. This makes it trivial to mock it up and put testing in, which will give you massive benefits as far as rapid iteration and testing.

Joe-Censored likes this.