Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm screwed!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WarpedAxiom, Dec 18, 2006.

1. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I re-read the 3DU contest guidlines, and realised that my preposterous file size has auto-disqualified me. And since it's so absurdly oversized, I don't think I have any chance at all to get it up (or down) to code.
    At least not without removing almost all of the game's experience.
    All I can do is laugh.

I'm screwed.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

How absurdly oversized? Have you tried the usual things of reducing texture sizes, compressing textures, and making sure all your sounds are in OGG? 30 mb is a little restrictive for a Unity UB app.

3. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

How absurdly oversized? How about 150 mb? And that's after I used all of Unity's file size optimizations.
    I honestly had no idea it was that large until I checked my final build.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Do you know that when building a player Unity prints the overview of asset sizes to system console (/Applications/Utilities/Console)? What assets take up most space in your case?

And 30MB is the compressed size. You can squeeze some extra space by zipping not with OSX' builtin archiver, but for example with 7-zip (on windows).

5. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I would guess the music. I always go overboard on the music, but I belive it to be so much of the ambiance.
    I cannot check it now. I have only limited computer access. I will check it tomorrow.

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

150MB of music is more than 2 hours of quality Ogg Vorbis sound! Can't you compress in lower quality or cut some music? :roll:

7. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Nah, it can't be the music. I mean, not so much at least. The biggest file is 3.4 megs uncompressed...
    I'll check what assets are the largest tomorrow.
    I didn't think I had much chanse anyway, being my first 3D-project ever.

8. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

The next thing to look at is textures.

Are they downscaled to be reasonable sized? Try changing the import settings while keeping an eye on them in your Game View. Do you notice any significant quality degradation when clamping from 1024x1024 to, say, 512x512 or 256x256? That's a 4x size reduction per size-step.

Are they all compressed? This is also an import setting on the images, and can be quite important too. Second: are they actually compressed (File->Build Settings..., then Compress Textures should be ticked on). Usually Unity doesn't compress textures each time you change them, but only when you build your game, because waiting for the compression is too annoying when tweaking a game.

Last would be geometry, animation data, and scripts. But I've never come across an example of geometry being more than a few megabytes, tops, and scripts should just be few kilobytes total.

d.

PS. Just to repeat what was already said about music: Mp3 and AAC files are shipped uncompressed. So a 3 megabyte file can actually take up 30 or more megabytes in the final game! What you need to do is simply recode them as Ogg files. There are free tools available to do just that. The quality of an Ogg file is similar or better than Mp3, so this should be no worry at all, and just something you need to do once.

9. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I've been scaling everything down, and that Ogg Vorbis tipp was a life saver, but suddenly all scipts stopped working.

"Couldn't load the script "Every single script I have because it's file name doesn't match the class name. Please make sure the file name of the script is the same as the class defined in the script.

Every single script return this. I am fairly close now. 40 megs uncompressed. I can't think of any more ways of saving space now.

10. phoen

phoen

reimport your scripts. i had the same error once.

11. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

40 mb uncompressed should get you well under the 30mb when it's zipped up. So it seemed to be the Ogg format that saved the day... if you don't use Ogg (MP3 for example) Unity builds the game using WAV files that will eat up a lot of space. Glad you'll be able to enter 3DU now :wink:

12. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Thank you Phoen! You're a life saver.

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Also check "Strip Debug Symbols" on when building the final player. This can save quite some size.