Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by shadowgun1102, Mar 20, 2019.

1. shadowgun1102

shadowgun1102

Hello! I have just learned about Unity. So can someone tell me what basic knowledge the Unity programmer needs?

2. BoogieD

BoogieD

Apart from knowing how to program to some degree, perhaps you should try this:

Study GameObject Transform and Vector3 objects.

Write a script class with public variables defined. These public variables will be exposed in the Inspector after you add the script to a GameObject as a Component. You can then set the public variables by dragging the appropriate objects from the Hierarchy into their Inspector fields. Write functions to access the objects to modify behavior etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Some basic understanding of linear algebra, or at least vector math + matrices will go a very long way. Some understanding of basic physics such as momentum, spring physics etc will also go a long way.

Once you get into the programming side of it, its worth also learning about the rendering side of things as programming is just a small slice of the proverbial pie.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Once you have a basic understanding of programming you only truly need to know how to research a subject (ie how to get good results from a search engine) as you will spend most of your early programming days looking at documentation and other online resources (eg forums).

Just as an example if you wanted to know the public methods for a MonoBehaviour and only wanted to check the official docs, you would type "site:docs.unity3d.com monobehaviour" into Google and the first result will almost always be exactly that.

Antypodish likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Here's what I think you need to learn to get a reasonable grasp on using Unity to make some basic projects on your own. I've listed them in roughly the order I would learn them. This is just my opinion, but if you learned the basics of this entire list you'd be in a good place to get some simple games going.

* Understand the basics of C# outside of Unity
    * Understand Unity concepts of GameObjects, scenes, and components
    * Understand the most useful Monobehaviour methods and why/when to use them, such as Awake, Start, Update, LateUpdate, OnEnable, FixedUpdate, etc
    * Understand how to use Unity's scripting reference
    * Understand the Transform component and the Vector3
    * Understand the Rigidbody component, Collider components, and at least what a Quaternion is
    * Understand references, and how to access methods and properties of one component from another
    * Understand what prefabs are, why they are used, and how to create and instantiate them
    * Understand various ways of finding GameObjects and components
    * Understand scene loading/unloading, and DontDestroyOnLoad
    * Understand the basics of cameras and lighting

After that, focus on learning more based on what projects you want to create or what you want to get better at.

JoeStrout likes this.