Search Unity

I'm new to Linux

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Peromyscus, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Peromyscus

Peromyscus

Hi, I'm new to Linux and I am having a heck of a time trying to download the latest stable Unity for Linux. Can anyone tell how to download Unity for Ubuntu 16 like I'm a 5 year old?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I recommend becoming familiar with YouTube. It's an excellent resource for step-by-step instructions.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Antypodish and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. Peromyscus

Peromyscus

I checked YouTube first obviously, but I wasn't able to find anything that clearly explained it. I have never used Linux, so the only thing I've ever downloaded was Gimp by typing "sudo apt-get Gimp" in the terminal. I honestly don't even know if that was the right way to do that. I assume not. But, I do appreciate your time, Ryiah, although I didn't understand the video. Like I said, I'm completely new to Linux, so none of that made any sense to me. Anyway, thanks for tryin'. Cheers.

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Posting in the correct forum, as mentioned, would help! The forum also tells how to download the Linux version.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Truthfully that's about the simplest tutorial I've seen. You download the application, you open a terminal (which you already know how to do as is evident by the fact you're using sudo and apt-get), and you enter the command they show in the video.

If that's too complex my recommendation is that you set aside a few weeks and go learn Linux. Ubuntu tries to make life easier for someone just getting started, but at the end of the day Linux is an OS made for computer enthusiasts. You will find it difficult to do much with it until you've at least learned the basics of working with it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Joe-Censored and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Linux in recent years has been made very easy for novices to do simple tasks using just whatever GUI your favorite Linux distro defaults to. When you venture away from simple things like web browsing though, you'll find that most instructions you encounter when Googling your issues are through the command line (AKA the terminal or shell), because Linux enthusiasts almost unanimously favor the command line.

For example, Ubuntu has a graphical tool which is actually pretty good for installing packages like Gimp. If I remember right, you just browse or search through it, check a box, and click a button to do the install. I say it that way because like most Linux users I virtually never use it, even though there is nothing wrong with it. You probably Googled how to install Gimp, and found the command line instructions from someone just like me, or because it is a lot easier to tell someone how to run just that one command instead of how to navigate a GUI to do the same thing.

If you don't have prior command line experience and didn't grow up in the days of MS-DOS & Windows 3.1 this may be an entirely foreign way of using a computer. If you want to be successful with Linux you need to get good and comfortable with the command line, become familiar with a wide variety of commands and little command line "tricks" such as piping the output of one command into another, and get familiar with at least 1 common terminal based text editor (I'd suggest vim, though you're going to hate it at first, HATE it).

Not trying to pick on you, just stating the facts.

Ryiah likes this.