Search Unity

I'm new, need some guidance, sense of direction

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Somewittyname, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Somewittyname

Somewittyname

Moving this to general forum.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

AlanMattano likes this.
  3. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Welcome, I'm a Unity user like you.
    Ok @Somewittyname , guidance about what?
    We are reading. Please, If you wish, you can be more specific.
    You can use the Unity Hub to install 2018.3
    you can "start here": https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
    1. https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/interface-essentials
    2. https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/interactive-tutorials
    3. Beginner Gameplay Scripting: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/scripting

4. https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/roll-ball-tutorial
    5. Introduction to Lighting and Rendering: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/graphics
    6. Try to think to your final gold (How will be your game) and how will finish.
    7. Then in the tutorials (link) section, choose a Beginner Project that fit you better.
    For more guidance make your question here in this thread.
    Moving this to general forum looks like is not needed.

4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I have a theory: When we go North we hit an obstacle barrier(*) so we rotate 90° and we move West (or East). We also finish in the same place, We discover the finite roundness of the world and there was no more place to go, so we look up, rotated one more time 90°! Vertically we went out: Going outside was not efficient in terms of energy so we hit an obstacle and the virtual world as co-reaction to outside. Looks like when we hit what it looks like a singularity, we discover a new direction axis 90° the rode of progress.

[* can be(cold north polo)?]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  5. Somewittyname

Somewittyname

Hey sorry about that. I posted here but then when looking through the other forums I thought the general one was more appropriate. I'm not completely new but don't really know that much either.

Basically I have taken some of the udemy courses on the basics of unity and I'm now the crazy ignoramus who wants to make an MMO (500 CCU max so not really all that massive) by himself. This is a long term goal that I realize will take years and probably end in failure. There are other things I can do with what I learn on the journey so I don't fear failure and this long term goal is probably the only thing that can keep me motivated to keep learning this stuff.

I have the humble bundle package from last year around the time this account was started. I'm willing to cut as many corners as possible and design the game around my limitations to get this done. I don't need a lot of the typical stuff found in MMO's (quests, story lines, npc dialogues other then for buying and selling items). I also don't need a specific setting or art style at least not for an initial version of the game. I'm willing to just use what is in the humble bundle along with free and cheap other art and animation from the asset store.

The one thing this requires that likely makes it much more difficult and that I can't compromise on is it has to be one world. It could be divided up into multiple scenes that run on different servers but if two people go to the same location they have to be able to interact with each other. No American, European, etc mirror worlds.

What I'd like to be able to do at bare minimum is have a functional very basic version of the game with movement, combat, trading, chat, inventory, loot all working on local network and theoretically capable of handling 500CCU if uploaded to a datacenter.

What I'm going to be doing at the moment mostly other then finishing up some udemy courses is making a single player version of my game to play test it and make sure I can at least do what I envision without adding the complexity of networking in. IE make a PVE combat, inventory, loot system so I can play around with different attributes like health, weapons, drop rates, and skill systems to find something that I think is well balanced and that I would imagine is fun once all the online stuff is added to it.

So what I need help with now is forming a roadmap in my head of everything I would need to know to get the bare minimum done and secondly advice as to what order to go about attempting to learning it in. Any tutorials or udemy courses or youtube channels you would recommend? Networking frameworks you could recommend? I know nothing about network coding so anything teaching even basic or high level concepts would help with that.

Also if you think this is just impossible for one person to do what are the reasons? As I said I'm very willing to cut corners and compromise on almost everything and I consider this a journey with both the MMO and just learning as my goals so I don't think I'm 100% insane. Maybe 99% insane :)

6. Green11001

Green11001

I dont think thats good for a beginnner, even as a learning....

7. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

• Open a thread in the WIP section with the title of your game.
    • Put a replay resume each week.
    • Just a very small game prototype. with no 3d, no audio no nothing.
    • Make a players just cube no multiplayer.
    • Do not open new projects.
    • Make it fun to play.
    • A small improvement in each sector.
    • Publish the EXE of your work each month.
    • Slowly you will learn each sector.
    • Slowly you will improve each sector.
    • Enjoy what you are doing.
    • Let your final gold push you (How it ends)

8. Somewittyname

Somewittyname

I might try posting a project in the WIP section in the future.

I can promise you I will not be trying to make anything multiplayer right now or likely even this year unless its just following a couple tutorials to get an idea of how much work and level of difficulty it would take to do what I ultimately want.

My game idea really does not work as a single player game. I know it will get boring really quick. Making a single player version however could be very productive for me both as a learning opportunity and then as a game design tool to figure out how I want systems to work (from the players point of view) in the multiplayer version.

While I don't plan on posting my work on this right now I will follow your advice on making it very simple and slowing adding things and then improving them. I will take some time later today to try to figure out what order I want to do things in so I don't end up going back and forth working on too many different things at the same time or waste time just thinking about what to do next.

I am still interested in getting started learning some basic stuff about MMO architecture, networking frameworks, and network coding if you or anyone else can recommend a good site, video, udemy course, or something else to get an idea of the level of work involved and basic concepts. I'm still primarily focused on learning unity and c# but I like to always have something new to learn lined up if I feel like taking a few days off what I'm working on.

9. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Somewittyname

Somewittyname

No but I'll watch it right now :) thanks.