Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm making a rhythm game.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MarkTheCatt, Apr 22, 2021.

1. MarkTheCatt

MarkTheCatt

my rhythm game is simple, there is an orb in the middle of the screen surrounded by a "+". squares and lines go down from the different sides of the screen. the goal is to fill the orb. the orb starts 25% full but if you miss too many notes, the orb shatters and you have to restart the song. I'm thinking that it could be a Hatsune Miku game. this is my first time making a game. please tell me how you like this idea. :)

2. MarkTheCatt

MarkTheCatt

please be positive. :)

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just be aware that if you don't own or have a license from the owner to use Hatsune Miku you're not legally allowed to release anything with her. If you go ahead and do it anyway, and the game attracts enough attention that they find out, you will receive a takedown notice that will prevent you from distributing the game in any way.

All of the above applies to music too that you don't own. If you want to make a rhythm game you will have to either find free music (legally free not just downloaded from YouTube) or license the music you wish to use. Again if you have copyrighted music and the owner finds out this will lead to a takedown notice from the owner.

Finally I think it goes without saying that a takedown notice can lead into a lawsuit if you fail to act upon it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Schneider21 likes this.
  4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@MarkTheCatt
    The idea sounds nice.

Also, there are some anime character software out there, if you want to create your own anime mascot for your game.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  5. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

@MarkTheCatt I have no idea who Hatsune Miku is, but as mentioned you won't be able to use their stuff without asking, and the licensing probably won't be cheap.

6. developer3244

developer3244

I agree with Ryiah, the hardest part of a rhythm game development (in my opinion) is copyright issues. For the songs, try to search something licenced under "Creative Commons" licence, then when you use the song, credit the song, the author, CC itself, and free songs even for commercial projects.

I have no idea what's Hatsune Miku, but your game idea seems cool. I would say that if you pretend to make a clone of a game (in case Hatsune is a game), beware with copyright, and see how the devs lead with fanmades, or better, dont do that. Clones may not be the same sucess as the original and usually may not be so cool. Try to do an original game, for start, even if it start bad. You will polish it later anyway