Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved I'm in shock! No sounds, no footprints in Unity Scene after importing the Footstep System asset.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Volchok, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Volchok

Volchok

Hi!

I have a Unity project in the current version 2020.2.3f1. There are many different assets in it (no problems).

When I import the Footstep System (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/footstep-system-63066) asset, I don't hear any sounds in the demo scene and I don't see any footprints on the surface of the terrain.

In my project, everything is fine in all the individual scenes, but in the demoscene of this asset, here is such an incomprehensible situation.

I talked about this problem with the author of the asset (Invector Studio)...

Here is his answer:

>>>

Honestly, I'm not sure why is not detecting the footstep, can you do a test for me? Try importing the project on a different version of Unity. I just tested here on 2019.4 and 2021.1 and they both work fine out of the box.

<<<

I created a clean new project under the same version 2020.2.3f1 and imported this asset. Everything is fine - it works as it should - I hear sounds and see footprints.

It turns out a very strange situation!

I tried exporting the asset to .unitypackage from a new clean scene, and then importing it into my project - the result is the same - there are no sounds and no footprints.

Please explain in which direction to dig? How is this even possible? We are in shock!

What should I include in the scene so that I can hear the sound and see the footprints?
    I can provide any screenshots.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  2. r618

r618

the asset doesn't properly handle your project's tags/layers sets (i'd imagine for raycasting and/or collision handling) -
    it most likely requires the user to set them up manually and/or assumes some fixed default tag/layer to exist
    - which is - as this case illustrates - sign of poor messaging, possibly non existent error handling and/or non existent user attention too

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Volchok likes this.
  3. Volchok

Volchok

Thank you very much! :):):)

You are right! I had to put just one tick here and everything worked right away! :):):)

The question is closed. :)

4. r618

r618

alrite though i'd probably rather set collision matrix wrt to actual layers the project and asset do use (ignoring everything by default might not be always desired) - it might be a problem if the asset relies on something like hardcoded numbers - which might be hard to track though

Volchok likes this.
  5. Volchok

Volchok

From me and the author of the asset! :):):)