Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm in need of a second opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LukeWaffel, Oct 28, 2015.

1. LukeWaffel

LukeWaffel

Hey there fellow forum users,

My name is Luuk, and I've come up with what I think are some pretty nice game idea's. But I'm not really sure if there are as nice and awesome as I think they are. That's the reason I'm making this thread. I would like to get a second opinion on my idea's, but I would rather not share them with the whole world, since I like to keep my gems in a contained area.

I'm generally looking for opinions from game designers, but if you think you can be of great importance be sure to respond anyways. You can respond by emailing me at "luukdomhofmail@gmail.com" or by adding "djluuky" on skype. (Obviously both without ""), then I'll get in touch with you as soon as I can.

Thanks for your time,

Luuk

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You might get a hit or two, but generally there's enough conversation to be had here that most of us aren't going to hit you up on email or Skype to get a drop of your super secret ideas.

My suggestion is to make the simplest possible prototypes of your ideas. Get real people to play test them. Use that to see if they're any good.

3. LukeWaffel

LukeWaffel

Thanks a lot for your fast response.

I was thinking about prototyping already, but I wasn't sure if I could do that for all of my idea's. Mainly because some of them are pretty large, and I have an active project I'm developing right now, which I guess will be the first prototype rolling out soon.

~Luuk

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Start by determining the core gameplay idea of your game idea. Don't worry about implementing all of your ideas. Just figure out what the main core gameplay idea is and then prototype something around that one gameplay idea.

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, that's always the case. I've got probably a dozen (current) ideas in my document repository, and I've spent a few weeks (at a few hours a week) prototyping one of those.

To pick which one to start on, the friend I'm working with and I sat down and planned out what we wanted to get out of our game development. We then looked over the concepts we had and picked one that was a good step in that direction and also a reasonable fit with our available resources and time.

6. Xenoun

Xenoun

Game ideas are a dime a dozen. They aren't worth anything unless you actually have something to show.

Prototypes will get you there, as will the minimum viable product. Ideas may seem great in theory but then you start playing it and the game just isn't fun. It may only need a few tweaks to re-focus the gameplay but sometimes the ideas just don't pan out how you'd imagined and there's no way to find out until you do it.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is also the game design forum.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. zenGarden

zenGarden

So true.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. ostrich160

ostrich160

Make a basic prototype with cubes, see how fun it is for yourself

This.

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. LMan

LMan

Nail down your descriptions to be short and easy to understand and post em up! I'm a sucker for a good idea- i'd practically write you step by step instructions if I thought you had an idea with unique potential.

11. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

If you made a fully realized zelda ish game with nice presentation right now, you could sell it. Unique ideas aren't that valuable.

ostrich160 and hippocoder like this.