Search Unity

I'm having a bad Unity day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacepluk, Sep 19, 2019.

1. spacepluk

spacepluk

Please tell me about your good experiences with Unity so I can feel a little better and get over my anger.
    <3

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Ony likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

One time Unity gave me a 50% discount on a Unity 4 Pro perpetual license. :p

Amon, Ippokratis, taptpci and 3 others like this.
  3. Metron

Metron

I once was able to work an entire day without Unity crashing... I managed to do this by not starting it...

xVergilx, JBR-games, Amon and 5 others like this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The people at Unity Technologies seem to be nice. Always polite and helpful around the forums.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity try hard to look after people who are a bit under things. I'm skint and knackered but they spend time helping me out. I do help them out too but still :)

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I see the Unity crashing topic come up frequently, but it has been at least a year since I last had an editor crash. I'm still on 2018.2.21 though, so maybe the issue is with later versions.

7. Ony

Ony

I crash a few times a week now (2018.4.2). Total freeze that requires killing the process. Never ever had crash problems with Unity before now, and now it happens so frequently I'm just kind of used to it. I'd like to think it's my own damned fault, but it's more fun blaming the engine.

Anyway... nice stuff, nice stuff... let's see...

Uhm, Unity's pretty cool. Yeah.

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

I won two Game Jams with Unity (was on the team that won, I mean).

spacepluk and Ony like this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I once ate a slice of cake that looked vaguely like the Unity logo if you squinted hard enough

10. Marble

Marble

Everyone says that DOTS is the future, so I feel proud of using a futuristic tool even though I haven't tried DOTS. :oops:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    XthemeCore and spacepluk like this.
  11. DBarlok

DBarlok

Please install some game on your cell phone and go take a walk too. That helps me.

spacepluk likes this.
  12. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If you have ever built your own engine from scratch, then you will realize that everyday is a good Unity day.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Kiwasi, aer0ace, XthemeCore and 7 others like this.
  13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Some of my favoritw games made with unity. And i dont play phone games.

If unity didnt have so much beginndr focused learning content, no way id be able to make games.

spacepluk likes this.
  14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did you file any bug reports? Give us a chance to fix things ;)

angrypenguin, JBR-games, Amon and 4 others like this.
  15. Ony

Ony

Nope, I'm in crunch mode finishing up a game (should be done this week, yay!) and the project is roughly 35GB, and there's no time to stop and file a report. In my ten years of using Unity I've never had to file one anyway, so I assume the freezing is just something in my project mucking up the works. Builds work fine; the problem is in the Editor. I'll take a closer look at it once this first release it out.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Kiwasi, Martin_H, Teila and 3 others like this.
  16. Antypodish

Antypodish

- I made cube moving (yeah :D).
    - I made 2 cubes moving (ok :)).
    - I made 100 cubes moving (meh ;)).
    - I made 5k cubes lagging as hell (grr o_O).
    - I made +100k cubes moving (wow :eek:) (future DOTS?) :)

spacepluk and karl_jones like this.
  17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I understand. Issues in large projects like this are something we really want to solve, so if you do find its something on our end then please let us know. :)

spacepluk, Teila, JBR-games and 3 others like this.
  18. Ony

Ony

Will do. Thanks for being around. :)

Martin_H, spacepluk, Teila and 3 others like this.
  19. Amon

Amon

Using Unity and C# helped me realize that I sometimes, if not most or all the time, prefer cluster headaches.

Kiwasi, spacepluk and Ony like this.
  20. JBR-games

JBR-games

You can literially make any game you want with Unity.. Only your imagination and time will limit you...

DBarlok, XCPU and spacepluk like this.
  21. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Have you checked for hardware fault @Ony? Run memtest for a few hours for example? If you dont have ECC memory you should do it on a regular basis. Since faulty memory can introduce lighting artifacts in baking etc

Ryiah, Ony and spacepluk like this.
  22. N1warhead

N1warhead

Dang I never knew that, (the memory and lighting artifacts). Makes me wonder what else it can do to a project out of curiosity.

spacepluk and AndersMalmgren like this.
  23. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thats why large studios uses Xeon/Epyc with ECC memory for their render farms :D

24. Ony

Ony

Yeah I typically keep up on that kind of stuff but this project has been massive and has taken up the majority of my time over the past six months. Super close to being finished, and then it's hardware upgrade time, etc. so I'll do my diagnostics then. Just sprinting for the finish line right now. :)

AndersMalmgren, frosted and spacepluk like this.
  25. spacepluk

spacepluk

The editor has been pretty stable for me, it almost never crashes. Most of my frustrations are about references randomly disappearing and having to repeat work over and over. I haven't been able to reproduce it on purpose though :(

Software is hard :p

XthemeCore, JBR-games and Ony like this.
  26. aer0ace

aer0ace

Well, Unity is free*. Let's start with that. And at one point they phased out MonoDevelop in favor of first-party Visual Studio support, so there's that. And phased out Unity script in favor of full C# support, that too. I shipped 3 mobile games, when previously, I had never released anything with Unity, or ANY engine for that matter, and I did my first and only Ludum Dare with Unity. Those are some great experiences too. And I won't forget the plenty of great assets that catapulted me forward (when they work, of course), like NGUI, Miniscript, Rewired, and my new obsession, Simple Waypoint System. And well, the community is actually pretty great here, despite massive userbases typically driving communities into sh*t.

These are also pretty much the same reasons I have not yet tried Godot, whenever I think of straying.

* You all know what the asterisk is for.

spacepluk likes this.