Search Unity

I'm going to work on a project from Zenva.com this afternoon!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Jun 15, 2022.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

A turn based RPG (I actually hate turn based combat but this looks simple enough for a complete newbie)

I downloaded the prefabs last week.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Did you have a question? How did the Unity book you ordered work for you? FYI you are not a newbie anymore, you joined here in 2016 and have almost 500 posts.

3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Technically I'm a Unity newbie as I haven't actually completed any projects yet.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

I get the sense that you're stuck in that perpetual "newbie" state because you seem resistant to following through on things. Or even following up on advice/feedback offered when you request assistance.

Trying new things is fun. Starting new projects is fun. Developing a skill, resolving difficult issues, and seeing a project through to completion are more difficult and moment-to-moment are much less fun.

If you're really just messing with game development as a casual hobby -- something to tinker with to pass the hours of the day -- then that's fine. You can putz about and never get anything done and you're still succeeding at what you set out to do. But if you want to make a game, you'll have to make that transition in your brain that allows you to commit for a sufficient period of time.

I noticed I was way more productive with my projects when I wasn't talking about them. Posting a thread in WIP or talking about the idea with my wife satisfied that part of my brain that wanted validation on what I was doing, and once I got that my motivation to put in the work dropped. Nowadays, I'm so busy and drained by work and other responsibilities that I haven't had as much time to put into game projects, but when I do get that time, I tell nobody. Wanting to eventually finish it and get it in front of people is the driving force I need to keep fighting through those difficult problems.

Again, maybe you don't care about actually finishing something, or even getting past that first step of following tutorials and creating anything original of your own. But if you do care, I do suggest engaging in less of this type of activity where you announce your intentions or minor accomplishments in order to keep that desire for satisfaction unresolved.

Just a suggestion.