Search Unity

I'm doing a MMO project for school, is this feasible?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by smalbec, Feb 21, 2019.

1. smalbec

smalbec

Hi, I'm a college freshman looking for opportunities to make my second CSE class semester-long project.

We are supposed to develop a real-time MMO, mostly to learn networking and project management, it can be any scale and we are doing small, mostly an arena shooter with agar.io-like games elements.

Our requirements for the project are:

We thought of using Unity for the backend, I have some experience with Unity so I thought it could be easy to whip out a demo for the game.

My concerns are connecting each part of the project with each other, IE Unity with the front end and the server (probably in Python, maybe C#)

Here it goes a little more in-depth about the connectivity

Is this feasible? Should I be going for Unity? I love it as a platform as it makes a lot of things easier to gamedev, if not we would probably go for Phazer in python.

Thanks in advance.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Unity would do just fine for your client.
    You could even develop both the server and the client in Unity, while sharing the same code base. That's what Unity's UNET system was for.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity can be used for either the server or client of an MMO. Vanilla Unet is deprecated, and has lots of unresolved bugs that may slow you down. An MMO is inherently a big complicated project, so you won't have time to waste working around network API bugs, so I'd suggest using an alternative API. (@vis2k 's Mirror for example, will let you use most any Unet tutorial to learn it, but won't suffer from Unet problems or its pending removal from the engine.)

mischa2k likes this.