Search Unity

I'm doing a CS project for school, is this feasible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smalbec, Feb 21, 2019.

1. smalbec

smalbec

Hi, I'm a college freshman looking for opportunities to make my second CSE class semester-long project.

We are supposed to develop a real-time MMO, mostly to learn networking and project management, it can be any scale and we are doing small, mostly an arena shooter with agar.io-like games elements.

Our requirements for the project are:

We thought of using Unity for the backend, I have some experience with Unity so I thought it could be easy to whip out a demo for the game.

My concerns are connecting each part of the project with each other, IE Unity with the front end and the server (probably in Python, maybe C#)

Here it goes a little more in-depth about the connectivity

Is this feasible? Should I be going for Unity? I love it as a platform as it makes a lot of things easier to gamedev, if not we would probably go for Phazer in python.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

That second requirement is an interesting one because it's completely possible to bundle up HTML/CSS/JavaScript into a standalone program using a framework like Electron. You even mentioned an example of a game engine (Phaser) that is built on this approach at the bottom of your post. Discord is another very common example of it in action.

https://electronjs.org/

Since you would already be building the web and desktop front-ends in JavaScript, you could take it one step further and build the server in JavaScript. Node.js is a framework for building server-side apps in JavaScript. Incidentally it's one of the frameworks being used to power Electron.

https://nodejs.org/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yeah, I would definitely try and bundle 2&3 together. So either get permission to do your browser front end using Unity WebGL and do the desktop with Unity. Or do both in JavaScript.