Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Im confused about saving

Discussion in 'Game Foundation' started by r31o, Apr 28, 2022.

1. r31o

r31o

So, I have seen Game Foundation, and I think is perfect for the game Im developing. But I have some questions related to the saving:

-I have seen in one the documentations (why are two documentations?) a way to save the data, but I think that saving it into a json file will let users modify what they have, so how I can save it in a safer format?
    -Im developing a android game, Any way of saving will work?
    -There is a way to sync to a google account so if a player opens the game in another device will have the same things as in the device was using before.

I think a way to save it in the cloud is what I need, and I read something about it in the documentation, but in the issues says that doesent work with the rewards.

2. r31o

r31o

I just saw that Game Foundation is no longer supported. I guess I will need to make my own shop system.

3. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @r31o

Thanks for your interest in Game Foundation. Yes, this project is no longer in active development because around the time we were trying to answer those kinds of cloud saving/backend questions for Game Foundation, Unity was also building a more robust suite of tools that overlapped with Game Foundation in features but was intended for building server authoritative games. I highly recommend you check out the Unity Gaming Services offering as I think it may be a good fit for your use case based on your questions. You can use Economy to create Currencies, Inventory items, and Purchases (akin to Game Foundation's Transactions), Cloud Save to save arbitrary json/data fields in the cloud, and Authentication to handle cross device syncing. https://create.unity.com/gaming-services#Backend

Also the Game Foundation team has been working on building out sample use cases for ways in which Unity Gaming Services can be used. You can check out our samples here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.services.samples.use-cases

I hope that helps!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  4. r31o

r31o

Thanks for the info. I will check them now.
    This tools are free?

erika_d likes this.
  5. erika_d

erika_d

Great to hear! Most of the packages are still in beta and are free to use while in beta. Even once they leave beta there will be a free tier for them that allows for a fair amount of usage before incurring costs, you can check out the usage amounts and current pricing plans here https://unity.com/solutions/gaming-services/pricing