Search Unity

I'm a Unity Noob and need some help...

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jononotbono, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono

Hi,

I'm a Unity Noob and I could really do with some help.

I actually write music for Film and TV and I have started studying an MFA in Videogame Music and Audio as I love video games and want to work in the industry but part of my MFA is to start learning Unity. So far I love it. I spent all day yesterday creating a mountain range and using Masks and creating something that looks like a high res version of Neverwinter nights or something.

Anyway, I've got an issue when I create Terrains and I get a warning sign saying...

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 12.51.52.png

I've tried changing the Detail Resolution Per Patch from every setting from 8, 16, 32, 64 , and max it will allow me to input is 128. It doesn't get rid of the warning. So I was wondering if anyone could help? Without getting rid of this warning, I can access the play element of Unity to test things.

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but I've only been using it since yesterday and eager to become very good at using it.
    Here's a few screen shots of what I made yesterday. No doubt basic to many but I was loving the scope of possibility with Unity! :)

Many thanks

Jono

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 23.27.48.png Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 23.38.10.png Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 02.47.49.png

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 03.00.54.png

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

@jononotbono I think it may be bugged, I generally ignore the warning though honestly.
    It's just saying that if it's too much detail it can affect performance. If you are getting the frame rate you desire on the platform you are designing for then just keep doing what you're doing.

But I believe it's bugged as I just changed both details at 12 and the warning is still there.
    It used to disappear when you got the numbers balanced out to your liking, but doesn't appear to be doing so.

jononotbono likes this.
  3. MDADigital

MDADigital

The overlapping UV warning for lightmaps is also bugged. It even warns for unity generated UV

Aviryx and jononotbono like this.
  4. jononotbono

jononotbono

Ok, thanks man. I can't go into play mode those until "all compiler errors" are fixed of which this Terrain error is one of them. Any ideas? And thanks so much for replying!

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'd have to see the errors, we don't know what they are unless we can see them.
    That warning shouldn't prevent you from playing, it's just a warning, not an error.

Ryiah likes this.