Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question IL2CPP stuck at "Building native binary with IL2CPP"

Discussion in 'Android' started by MaartenB, Feb 18, 2021.

1. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hi all,

I'm trying to build an Android game with IL2CPP (Debug), but it seems that it's hanging on "Building native binary with IL2CPP".

I've tried this multiple times and sometimes it just finishes the build successfully, but mostly it's just stuck at "Building native binary with IL2CPP". I'm also not able to cancel the build. Only when I force quit Unity through the Task Manager.

Next to that, il2cpp.exe is active on my computer. When I force quit it, it doesn't listen. When I try it again, it says that I don't have permission for it.

Maybe this helps you solve the situation as well. When I'm trying to remove the Library after force quitting Unity and trying to force quit il2cpp.exe, I'm not able to remove the folder armeabi-v7a. Maybe that folder has to do with the process being stuck?

This is the last part of the Editor.log file:

Invoking il2cpp (via bee.exe) with arguments: --convert-to-cpp --emit-null-checks --enable-array-bounds-check --dotnetprofile="unityaot" --compile-cpp --libil2cpp-static --platform="Android" --architecture="ARMv7" --configuration="Debug" --outputpath="P:\Unity Projects\PROJECTNAME\Library\Il2cppBuildCache\Android\armeabi-v7a\Native\armeabi-v7a\libil2cpp.so" --cachedirectory="P:\Unity Projects\PROJECTNAME\Assets\..\Library\il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a/il2cpp_cache" --additional-include-directories="C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.2.4f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/Tools\bdwgc/include" --additional-include-directories="C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.2.4f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/Tools\libil2cpp/include" --baselib-directory="C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.2.4f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer\Variations\il2cpp\Development\StaticLibs\armeabi-v7a" --avoid-dynamic-library-copy --tool-chain-path="C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.2.4f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/NDK" --incremental-g-c-time-slice=3 --profiler-report --map-file-parser="C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.2.4f1/Editor/Data/Tools/MapFileParser/MapFileParser.exe" --directory="P:/Unity Projects/PROJECTNAME/Temp/StagingArea/assets/bin/Data/Managed" --generatedcppdir="P:/Unity Projects/PROJECTNAME/Library/Il2cppBuildCache/Android/armeabi-v7a/il2cppOutput"

Hereby some information about the Unity editor etc:

Version: 2020.2.4f1
    Minimum API Level: 25
    Target API Level: Automatic
    Scripting Backend: IL2CPP
    API Compatibility Level: .NET Standard 2.0
    C++ Compiler Configuration: Debug
    Target Architectures: ARMv7 + ARM64
    Development Build: Yes.

I hope you can help me with this issue; it's bothering me for quite a while.

Thanks in advance!

- Maarten

EDIT:

I've tried to remove some of the contents in the armeabi-v7a folder and I have some files left. Hope this helps with the riddle as well. These are the files that are in use:

il2cppOutput/Il2CppGenericComDefinitions2.cpp
    il2cppOutput/Il2CppGenericComDefinitions17.cpp
    il2cppOutput/Il2CppGenericComDefinitions18.cpp
    il2cppOutput/Il2CppGenericComDefinitions19.cpp
    artifacts/tundra.dag
    artifacts/tundra.digestcache
    artifacts/tundra.log.json
    artifacts/TundraBuildState.state
    artifacts/buildprogram/buildprogram.exe

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    lclemens likes this.
  2. Zaddo

Zaddo

HI Maarten,

I hope you managed to resolve this issue.

I am having a similar problem on a windows build. Do you have any tips on how to trouble shoot this issue. There is very little detail on fixing IL2CPP build problems.

Thanks,
    Zaddo

3. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hey Zaddo,

For now, I still don't have a solution to this issue, but I am working with Unity Support on a solution. They suspect that it's probably my JDK/SDK/NDK modules.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@MaartenB:

There should be another error message that is displayed when the error you posted happens. Can you provide the other error message here?

5. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hey @JoshPeterson ,

Thanks for responding to this issue. Unfortunately, I have not received an error at all.

Where should the error be stated? In the Editor.log file?

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, check the Editor.log file if you don't see anything else in the console. You can search the Editor.log for "Invoking il2cpp" to find the IL2CPP section. The error should be just after that.

7. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hey Josh,

Sorry for the late response. Got a lot of stuff to do suddenly. Anyway, this is the last part of the Editor.log file:

So to be clear, there is nothing after all this. Even no error, which is odd.

Next to that, nothing happens anymore. It's just in an infinite loop. I have my suspicions on bee.exe, but you're the IL2CPP Android expert here, haha.

8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

That seems rather odd. Can you use Process Explorer (downloadable from Microsoft) to view the process tree under Unity.exe when this happens? I've curious to see what processes are here.

9. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hereby an image of the Process Explorer after being 30 minutes stuck in the "Building native library in IL2CPP" process:

I have sent you full information through a private message.

10. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the details. Is this a project you can share via a bug report? It looks like il2cpp.exe is hung, and we would like to investigate it.

11. MaartenB

MaartenB

Yes, I've already submitted a bug report. It's case 1319718.

12. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thank you! One other question: When this happens, can you right click on the il2cpp.exe line in Process Explorer, then choose Create Dump > Create Full Dump. That should create a .dmp file with the current thread information for il2cpp.exe. Please upload that file via the existing bug report.

MaartenB likes this.
  13. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hi @JoshPeterson

I've found something new that could be interesting to you and Andreas. It's an argument that I'm missing in the log file when compiling into IL2CPP.

At the end of this command:

You can see that the parameter --dotnetprofile="unityaot" has been used.

But when the IL2CPP compilation is failing, I do not see this parameter included in the log file. Could that be the cause of this? What does dotnetprofile="unityaot" do?

Hope this helps!

- Maarten

14. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, I don't think that this matters in this case. That argument tells IL2CPP which implementation profile to use. However, the value "unityaot" is the default value, so if the argument is not passed, IL2CPP will behavior as if it were passed with the value you mentioned.

15. MaartenB

MaartenB

For the person who is reading this to find a solution: For now, there is no answer to this issue and it's not yet reproducible in an empty project.

I do have the feeling however it has to do with Firebase, but that's a wild guess.

16. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

A long shot, but could you try Export Project option, if I am not mistaken, Unity will only generate IL2CPP cpp files, but won't attempt to compile or link them. The compiliation and linking will happen from gradle.

While it won't fix the underlying issue, if you'll open the gradle project with Android Studio, you can inspect .cpp files, and if any of them is pretty huge, that might hint the issue.

MaartenB likes this.
  17. MaartenB

MaartenB

Will try this, thanks for your response. I will of course follow up if I have more info.

18. MaartenB

MaartenB

How large would be unusual when we're talking about .cpp files? My largest one is 10.5MB. Looks fine to me tbh.

19. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

I guess you don't use asmdef files inside? That way everything ended up in Assemly-CSharp* file? Any big functions?

I assume your project export was succesful, what happens if you try to build that project via Android Studio, does it get stuck too?

20. MaartenB

MaartenB

"I guess you don't use asmdef files inside? That way everything ended up in Assemly-CSharp* file?"

I actually do. I have one for my Runtime scripts, my Test scripts and my Test Editor scripts.

"Any big functions?"

What is exactly your definition of big functions? If you would like to, I can share the source code of my project with you, but then I would prefer that over a DM.

"I assume your project export was succesful, what happens if you try to build that project via Android Studio, does it get stuck too?"

No, it doesn't get stuck at all. However, I do have this exact issue with a non-Android project as well which uses totally different code than my personal project. (Desktop + VR)

The personal project uses Unity 2020.3.2f1. I've tried 3f1 as well, but unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue. The other non-Android project uses 2020.3.0f1.

21. peciPT

peciPT

I am having the same issue.

When I attach the debugger I see lots of File Read operations in Kernel32, called from System.Security.Cryptography, called from HashOfFile (inside Unity.IL2CPP.Common.dll).

It seems to hang, no progress, looks like a deadlock to me but cannot tell why.
    When looking at the files, they are all different. Tried to fix it by doing File.ReadAllBytes(path.ToString()); before and pass the byte array to the MD5 ComputeHash method. didnt fix it - same behaviour, except the callstacks to the kernel32 file operations that are stuck come directly from the ReadAllBytes method and not from the System.Security.Cryptography.

The solution that worked was to do a lock, so that only one ReadAllBytes is done at the same time. This will make the il2cpp runtime take a bit longer, but i think it will not hurt that much as most of the time is spent in compiling. Note that the lock is just on the file reading, the md5 calculation is still running threaded.

so patching the HashOfFile method (inside of Unity.IL2CPP.Common.dll) worked for me

public static string HashOfFile(NPath path)
    {
    byte[] data;
    lock("lock")
    {
    data = File.ReadAllBytes(path.ToString());
    }

using MD5 mD = MD5.Create();
    string text = HashToString(mD.ComputeHash(data));

if (TraceDebugger.TraceDebuggerEnabled)
    {
    TraceDebugger.Log($"Hash of {path}: {text}");
    }
    return text;
    }

22. peciPT

peciPT

Another workaround that worked for me is to export an AndroidStudio project instead of building the apk directly, and building the apk via androidstudio or with gradle on a command line.

23. MaartenB

MaartenB

That also works for me right now, but I don't know how long that solution is going to be reliable. Lol.

24. Cristian_O

Cristian_O

Any updates on this issue ?

I am having the exact same problem. (Using Unity 2020.3.7f1)

RemDust likes this.
  25. MaartenB

MaartenB

Right now I'm still working with the Android Studio export workaround, however, as far as I know, Unity Support is currently working on it.

They have not however recognized it as a Unity bug yet.

26. dxduanxin

dxduanxin

I had similar problem on both Unity 2019.4.x LTS and Unity 2020.3.x LTS.
    My workaround is : After hanging and killing related Unity process, delete these folders under Library folder: il2cpp_android_arm64-v8a, il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a and Il2cppBuildCache (2019 does not have this folder) and then do rebuild.
    Hope this help.

27. nek0pi

nek0pi

Having the same issue after the build has failed (Was integrating firebase SDK), if it happened once, you always need to clear the cache from il2cpp_android_arm64-v8a, il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a and Il2cppBuildCache as mentioned by @dxduanxin
    Also, I advise rebooting your PC if you've got it hanging like this because you won't be able to delete cache since il2cpp.exe is using these files and you can't kill this process.

28. MaartenB

MaartenB

Yeah, I also have Firebase in my project, but it's not Firebase, because I also have this in a project which doesn't have Firebase.

For now, I'll keep it at exporting the Android project and building it through Android Studio, because I don't want to reboot my PC every time, lol.

29. OceanViewGames

OceanViewGames

Hey. I am having this issue now as well

30. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

For those experiencing this issue, are you using BitDefender anti-virus? So far, that has been the common thread in all fo the cases where this happens.

31. MaartenB

MaartenB

I have been using it, but now my license is expired, I have removed it. I will try it again the next time without BitDefender anti-virus.

jeffersonrcgouveia likes this.
  32. MindOverDevelop

MindOverDevelop

Yes I was using bit defender. I disabled it, along with deleting the library files mentioned above and it worked. This popped up where it was hanging and after allowing access. It fixed it. Thanks! This was bugging me for weeks.

upload_2021-6-22_10-10-41.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    jeffersonrcgouveia likes this.
  33. dxduanxin

dxduanxin

Yeah, I am using Bitdefender too. As this hang happens frequently but not always, I am exporting to Android project and build from there.
    Thanks a lot for your info !

34. Smithy43

Smithy43

Same here

35. HolyFireGames

HolyFireGames

I only seem to have an issue when I enable Armv7, 64 builds fine, but 7 hangs. I am using BitDefender as well. I tried disabling it, deleting the cache, but when I enable v7 it fails 100% of the time.

36. suryanarayana

suryanarayana

I am also facing the same issue , but i am using it for Xbox development. I have excluded the paths
    c:\program files\unity\hub\2020.3.10f1\editor\data\il2cpp\build\deploy\netcoreapp3.1\il2cpp.exe and
    c:\program files\unity\hub\2020.3.10f1\editor\unity.exe from AntiMalWare in Bitdefender , still it is blocking. I have tried all the above methods here , like deleting the cache folder in the project Library and restarted the system. No success. Any other suggestion.

37. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

When the ARMv7 build fails, is there an error message?

38. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Can you try to completely disable BitDefender?

39. suryanarayana

suryanarayana

Yes , It worked if I completely disable it. Thanks. More to note we excluded the following c:\program files\unity\hub\2020.3.10f1\editor\data\il2cpp\build\deploy\netcoreapp3.1\il2cpp.exe and
    c:\program files\unity\hub\2020.3.10f1\editor\unity.exe from AntiMalWare in Bitdefender as Process not as file in the antimalware of bitdefender. My previous attempt was "as File".

40. MaartenB

MaartenB

I've also tried building with IL2CPP without BitDefender and indeed, it works. So we can close this thread.

Thanks to everyone who has supported this thread!

41. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the details both!

42. sethi-sahil27

sethi-sahil27

Hi guys, i'm facing the same issue on one of my projects, how do i figure our the problem.
    i'm not using bit defender and i only have this folder in my Library folder "il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a".

Please help, i need to build 'aab' file to be published on the store and have been stuck for a week now.

43. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Can you provide more details about the problem? Specifically, did anything in the project change in the last week that made it so that it will hang during the build now?

44. sethi-sahil27

sethi-sahil27

It was an old project, the app was running fine but we needed to update the version on the store so i just upgraded the project from unity 2017.3.1p4 to 2019.3.2f1. Fixed text mesh pro errors and tried building.
    And i deleted firebase files, simple-android notification files and onesignal files as well.
    And upgraded a plugin called EasyAR

I have another project with similar plugins that builds just fine on Unity version 2019.3.2f1

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  45. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

If other projects build fine on this machine, it is probably not a bad interaction with Bit Defender then. There must be something specific to this project causing an issue. When the build hangs, can you use Process Explorer to determine which processes are running as child processes on Unity.exe?

46. sethi-sahil27

sethi-sahil27

This is the attached screenshot of the process manager but i can't upload the dmp file, it says it's too large. The size is 494 mb
    Screenshot (572).png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  47. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Can you check the command line for that clang++.exe process? It looks like there is one C++ file that is taking a very long time to compile. The path to that file should be on the clang++.exe command line. With that information we can look at the content of that file.

48. sethi-sahil27

sethi-sahil27

This is what it shows on the command line in the process explorer Screenshot (574).png Screenshot (573).png

49. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

If you double-click on the clang++.exe process, you can copy the text of the command line. Please paste that text in this thread - that will be easier to see.

50. sethi-sahil27

sethi-sahil27

This is what i get on the two clang++ processes

"D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin\clang++" -DNET_4_0 -DUNITY_AOT -DIL2CPP_MONO_DEBUGGER_DISABLED -DGC_NOT_DLL -DRUNTIME_IL2CPP -DLINUX -DANDROID -DPLATFORM_ANDROID -D__linux__ -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -I"D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Tools\bdwgc\include" -I"D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Tools\libil2cpp\include" -I"D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\libil2cpp" -I"D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\libil2cpp" -I"D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\external\bdwgc\include" -I"D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\external\xxHash" -I"D:\Unity-Projects\Fun2Learn\Temp\StagingArea\Il2Cpp\il2cppOutput" -I"." -c -g -DNDEBUG -fexceptions -fno-limit-debug-info -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -Wa,--noexecstack -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -fno-strict-aliasing -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fno-strict-overflow -fno-addrsig -fPIC -Os -stdlib=libc++ -target armv7-linux-androideabi19 -D__ANDROID_API__=19 -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon-fp16 -Wno-unused-value "D:\Unity-Projects\Fun2Learn\Temp\StagingArea\Il2Cpp\il2cppOutput\Assembly-CSharp13.cpp" -o "D:/Unity-Projects/Fun2Learn/Library/il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a/il2cpp_cache/42E17138E3933E0A780A526E0CF4DCF9.o"

"D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin\clang++.exe" -cc1 -triple armv7-unknown-linux-android19 -emit-obj -mnoexecstack -disable-free -disable-llvm-verifier -discard-value-names -main-file-name Assembly-CSharp13.cpp -mrelocation-model pic -pic-level 2 -mthread-model posix -mdisable-fp-elim -relaxed-aliasing -fmath-errno -masm-verbose -mconstructor-aliases -fuse-init-array -target-cpu generic -target-feature +soft-float-abi -target-feature -fp-only-sp -target-feature -d16 -target-feature +vfp3 -target-feature +fp16 -target-feature -vfp4 -target-feature -fp-armv8 -target-feature +neon -target-feature -crypto -target-abi aapcs-linux -mfloat-abi soft -fallow-half-arguments-and-returns -dwarf-column-info -debug-info-kind=standalone -dwarf-version=4 -debugger-tuning=gdb -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -coverage-notes-file D:/Unity-Projects/Fun2Learn/Library/il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a/il2cpp_cache/42E17138E3933E0A780A526E0CF4DCF9.gcno -resource-dir "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\lib64\clang\8.0.2" -D NET_4_0 -D UNITY_AOT -D IL2CPP_MONO_DEBUGGER_DISABLED -D GC_NOT_DLL -D RUNTIME_IL2CPP -D LINUX -D ANDROID -D PLATFORM_ANDROID -D __linux__ -D __STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -I "D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Tools\bdwgc\include" -I "D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Tools\libil2cpp\include" -I "D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\libil2cpp" -I "D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\libil2cpp" -I "D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\external\bdwgc\include" -I "D:\Program Files\Unity2019.3.2\Editor\Data\il2cpp\external\xxHash" -I "D:\Unity-Projects\Fun2Learn\Temp\StagingArea\Il2Cpp\il2cppOutput" -I . -D NDEBUG -D __ANDROID_API__=19 -internal-isystem "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin/../sysroot/usr/include/c++/v1" -internal-isystem "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin/../sysroot/usr/local/include" -internal-isystem "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\lib64\clang\8.0.2\include" -internal-externc-isystem "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin/../sysroot/usr/include/arm-linux-androideabi" -internal-externc-isystem "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin/../sysroot/include" -internal-externc-isystem "D:\Game-assets\NDK\android-ndk-r19-windows-x86_64\android-ndk-r19\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin/../sysroot/usr/include" -Os -Wno-unused-value -std=c++11 -fdeprecated-macro -fdebug-compilation-dir "D:\Unity-Projects\Fun2Learn\Temp\StagingArea\assets\bin\Data\Managed" -ferror-limit 19 -fmessage-length 0 -fvisibility hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fwrapv -fno-rtti -fno-signed-char -fobjc-runtime=gcc -fcxx-exceptions -fexceptions -fdiagnostics-show-option -vectorize-loops -vectorize-slp -o D:/Unity-Projects/Fun2Learn/Library/il2cpp_android_armeabi-v7a/il2cpp_cache/42E17138E3933E0A780A526E0CF4DCF9.o -x c++ "D:\Unity-Projects\Fun2Learn\Temp\StagingArea\Il2Cpp\il2cppOutput\Assembly-CSharp13.cpp"