Search Unity

[IL2CPP] Move "BackUpThisFolder_ButDontShipItWithYourGame" folder to another location

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by massiveminiteam, Feb 15, 2019.

1. massiveminiteam

massiveminiteam

Hi,

we are using IL2CPP for our current project. Is it possible for us or (if not for us) for Unity devs to move the folder to a different location? All our build scripts on our build machines (they are building and uploading the exported files or pushing them on a dev / test kit) needs to be changed for Windows builds with IL2CPP.

Maybe you (Unity devs) can do it like the Switch export does it? It creates a folder in the project root folder. It would be great for us if every export on every platform with IL2CPP uses the same caching strategy and location.

Thanks

Tim

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm unclear what IL2CPP even has to do with pre/post build file moving.

What problem are you solving by this method, and is there another way that problem can be solved?

3. mgstauff

mgstauff

IL2CPP builds create a folder called BackUpThisFolder_ButDontShipItWithYourGame in the build folder. As its name suggests, you don't want to ship it. So a post-build script that does something with the build folder would have to do something with it. For me I'm just doing things manually so far, and am concerned I'll forget some time to remove it from the output folder and I'll ship it. Would be great if it were put somewhere else. Maybe project root like Tim suggests, or a sister folder to the output folder so it lives in the same parent.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

That would be one of your build scripts doing that because AFAIK this is not a Unity thing I have ever heard of, at least not for mobile builds, and nor does Google return anything except this one forum response. Maybe someone from Unity can chime in here, or maybe it's for a build target I'm not licensed for, like Switch or XBox or PS.

5. R1PFake

R1PFake

I think he is talking about this folder: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsPlayerIL2CPPBuildProducedFiles.html

6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Oh good call, don't live in Windows land so I hadn't seen that.

Make a post-build step to nuke it, or else make your own external-to-Unity "bundle up the entire directory" script that nukes that folder.