Search Unity

IL2CPP Mac OSX requires macOS 11 SDK

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Starburst999, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starburst999

Starburst999

I want IL2CPP builds for Mac OSX and Windows (I know Windows is coming soon! And I hope "soon" is not too far away otherwise I'll have to switch to another CI provider).

However Mac IL2CPP is advertised as working and using Unity 2020.2.1f1 I'm currently getting this error:

ERROR: Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.4.

Is there an ETA for when the macOS SDK will be upgraded?

Really happy with UCB, it fit my needs perfectly, you guys did a great job! But being blocked with no IL2CPP on desktop builds means I'll have to switch...

2. victorw

victorw

Argh. So the problem we have there is that we currently have two separate buildbot images - one on Mojave and one on Catalina. We're forcing all builds that want to use Xcode 11.7+ across to Catalina (since otherwise that doesn't work) and all 32-bit Unity versions across to Mojave (since Catalina drops support for 32bit executables). However we don't actually have a mechanism for determining that you're using IL2CPP and swapping on that basis.

I guess as a temporary workaround if you submit a support ticket we can force all your builds to land on Catalina builders but I'll have to discuss this issue with the team and try to figure out a more general approach.

3. victorw

victorw

I just talked to the Mac platform team and they indicated that this limitation comes from building for Apple silicon, which is currently only supported in 2020.2+. I'll add some code to limit OSX builds on those Unity versions to only run on Catalina.

4. Starburst999

Starburst999

That sounds great! Thank you very much!

5. Gardosen

Gardosen

Hy,

i have the exact same issue as Starbust999

"Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.4."

"Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (IL2CPP) is not installed."

any eta when unity cloud build will be fixed for this? just started to use UCB but so far i am not able to build the most important clients for my project :/

Kind regards

6. victorw

victorw

Yeah the deploy for this fix got derailed a bit since we were prioritizing the Cocoapods issues, I'll try to get this out today.

7. victorw

victorw

Just deployed this, let me know if you're still running into issues.

8. Starburst999

Starburst999

Just tried and still getting
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Unity] ERROR: Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.4.
    2. 80: [Unity] Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.4.
    Unity Version: Unity 2020.2.1f1

loocid likes this.
  9. Gardosen

Gardosen

i have honestly dropped the subscription directly again and wrote my own build server system with 2 machines and the unity cli. More expensive as i had to buy the machines, but less trouble and not having to rely on vms.
    as much as i like unity and love to work with it, but this cloud system is in a pretty bad state for a system which was introduced over 3 years ago.

my jenkins+agent system running on 2 intel nucs with windows and macos does the job just fine now.

10. loocid

loocid

Still getting:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Unity] ERROR: Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.4.
    2. [Unity] Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.4.

11. cinemator

cinemator

I am also having this issue

12. Gardosen

Gardosen

you should consider setting up your own build system as i did. i do not expect a lot to happen here. if something is stagnating for over 2 years, it means the product is pretty low in priority and won't be supported as much as the community would like to see.

13. Starburst999

Starburst999

@victorw IL2CPP build compilation with 2020.2 are now working! Thank you!

However I seem to have notarization issue on my 2020 build but that's a separate issue (I think it has to do with application specific password being removed by apple since this February, any plan to support App Store Connect API Key?)

14. jason_yak

jason_yak

@victorw Hey I'm still unable to build IL2CPP for Mac and getting a different issue. I tried compiling with 2020.2.6 and 2020.2.7. I'm compiling from Big Sur 11.2.2, latest Xcode installed, but the compiler errors out with the message below. I have no issues using Mono but I've been unable to compile to IL2CPP for mac for nearly 18 months now, it'd be great to get this working.

Code (CSharp):
    1. SetOwnerAndGroup jason:staff /Users/jason/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GAMENAME-dklxtgqsezgxepfyrkibdxettvbw/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/GAMENAME/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/usr/local/lib/GameAssembly.dylib
    3.     cd "/Users/jason/Projects/GAME/builds/StandaloneOSX/Development/1.6.6/GAMENAME"
    5.     /usr/sbin/chown -RH jason:staff /Users/jason/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GAMENAME-dklxtgqsezgxepfyrkibdxettvbw/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/GAMENAME/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/usr/local/lib/GameAssembly.dylib
    7. chown: /Users/jason/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GAMENAME-dklxtgqsezgxepfyrkibdxettvbw/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/GAMENAME/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/usr/local/lib/GameAssembly.dylib: No such file or directory
    9. Command /usr/sbin/chown failed with exit code 1

15. ShaneBeee

ShaneBeee

Hey @victorw could we please get an update on this?

I myself have been having this issue for months. This topic seems to have had no response from you since January... its now near the end of April, 3 months later with no response on the matter.

Some screenshots showing the same issue (both with "intel + silicon" and "intel"):
    (And yes, I have Xcode installed and up-to-date)

16. ShaneBeee

ShaneBeee

For anyone still with this issue, I got an email from Unity this morning which helped me solve this.

Here is the portion of the email which helps fix said issue:

""
    It seems that Unity doesn't detect the Xcode SDK installation. Perhaps you could try running the following command in the Terminal window:
    'sudo xcode-select --reset' or if that doesn't help 'sudo xcode-select --install'

You might also need to reboot your Mac afterward.
    ""

I tried this, and it worked. Happy once again

yucelz, Cani23 and diego-giacomelli like this.
  17. JoeWok

JoeWok

@ShaneBeee, that worked for me! Thanks you so much :D

18. valentin56610

valentin56610

Hello, it's the end of 2022 and this is still an issue as of 2021.3.5f1
    Using MacOS 12.6
    I have Xcode installed latest version and MacOS SDK as well...
    This is getting frustrating

19. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Could you please let me know what Xcode version you require? Thanks!

20. valentin56610

valentin56610

It asked for xcode 12 I believe
    Although I have 14 installed

error is gone now and I haven’t touched a thing… can build with IL2CPP … so odd

21. chadwi

chadwi

Delete XCode and reinstall
    it worked.

22. badjano

badjano

I am using Unity 2021.3.34 and Mac Os Sonoma 14.3 and XCode 15.2 and unity keeps sending me this message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.6.

23. jason_yak

jason_yak

did you try the suggestion a few comments up to refresh the xcode pointer to the sdk installation?

24. cory-trese

cory-trese

This is still an error in 2022

25. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

The last few posts in this thread are not related to issues with Unity Build Automation and can be confusing to users who are looking for Build Automation solutions. I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.