Search Unity

IL2CPP Cloud Builds failing

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by shaddad, Jul 27, 2018.

1. shaddad

shaddad

Hi,

We've recently switched our backend to use IL2CPP and now our Cloud builds appear to fail. We've tried with Unity 2018.1 and Unity 2018.2, building Standalone Windows 64 builds.

With Unity 2018.1 we get a DirectoryNotFound exception pointing to IL2CPP directories.

With Unity 2018.2 we are getting this error:

525: [Unity] ERROR: Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (IL2CPP) is not installed.
    526: [Unity] UnityEditor.CloudBuild.BuildLogger:HighlightUnityErrors(String, String, LogType)
    527: [Unity] Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (IL2CPP) is not installed.

Any ideas? I looked in the config settings and did some searching online and I couldn't find any resolution.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Karnsteiner

Karnsteiner

I've had this same error as well; it looks like to me that the Unity Cloud Build servers don't have the player support installed for il2CPP for windows builds.

3. Shaun-Peoples

Shaun-Peoples

Same here.

4. zythiku

zythiku

This is still an issue. Is this going to be fixed anytime soon? Also linux il2cpp isn't supported either.

245: [Unity] ERROR: Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (IL2CPP) is not installed.
    246: [Unity] Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (IL2CPP) is not installed.

5. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reporting this problem.

IL2CPP standalone builds require the native OS for compilation. Work is underway to enable IL2CPP for Windows standalone, but IL2CPP for Linux standalone is currently unsupported on Cloud Build due to the Linux editor still being in beta.

I have no ETA to share with you at this time, but once there are updates I will keep you informed via this thread.

RDL_Simteam_3 and SureSight like this.
  6. Amitloaf

Amitloaf

Also happens to me on windows standalone. Waiting for this support :)

7. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

Has it been fixed?

8. dreamer2

dreamer2

any info about progress?

9. FerdieKucheza

FerdieKucheza

Unfortunately, we're still getting this error. Happens only on Win64 in our case. Android and Mac are working perfectly fine.

kamil-dawidow likes this.
  10. kamil-dawidow

kamil-dawidow

Yep, we too got this error today on Win64. Mac build's working.

11. Karnsteiner

Karnsteiner

Is there any update on when this support will be coming?

12. bdrelling

bdrelling

April 15th and still no support. Any update on this @ollieblanks ?

13. June1111

June1111

Looks like I'm in the same boat. Could really use the backend due to performance and security reasons.

14. RDL_Simteam_3

RDL_Simteam_3

Any updates on this issue?

15. NeXeS

NeXeS

Bump

16. oobartez

oobartez

Still not working with Unity 2019.1.5f. That makes IL2CPP unusable in any real-world project unless you want to maintain two separate build servers.

17. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi all, apologies for not responding for a while. Windows IL2CPP support requires some fairly large infrastructure changes. I'm sure you can understand that we want to make sure that we get this right and a change of this scale requires considerable development effort and vigorous testing.

I know this is not the news you have been waiting so long to hear, but I am still unable to provide hard dates yet, I can assure you that this is very actively being worked on with some promising developments very recently.

The only workaround, for the time being, is to perform Windows IL2CPP builds locally, which can be then uploaded to Cloud Build if required.

I'll be sure to keep you all informed when there is further developments.

RDL_Simteam_3 likes this.
  18. Amitloaf

Amitloaf

Waiting for this for a year now. Hope it will be available soon - as currently Cloud Build is unfortunately useless for us :(

oobartez and fishbai like this.
  19. oobartez

oobartez

This is just a regular reminder that IL2CPP support is still missing. It's really a shame - it is supposed to be the best compilation method in Unity / producing the fastest binaries, but it not supported by the official build infrastructure.

20. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

Is there a workaround that will let you easily tell the build to use Mono on Windows builds but keep IL2CPP for macOS etc. for now that's not too hacky? (What constitutes hacky is left as an exercise for the reader...)

21. victorw

victorw

You can use PlayerSettings.SetScriptingBackend in a Pre-Export Method to achieve this.

GainfulSage likes this.
  22. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

Which is recommended nowadays instead, Mono2x or WinRTDotNet? I'd guess Mono2x...?

23. victorw

victorw

Yeah it will be Mono2x - I didn't realize we actually still had any support for WinRT and I'm guessing that support is only partial at best.

GainfulSage likes this.
  24. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

Cool, working now. For future reference, here's the code I'm using and the config in Unity Cloud for my Windows build to make it work.

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class BuildConfiguration
    5. {
    6.     public static void PreExport()
    7.     {
    8.         string status = "Default";
    10. #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD
    11.         PlayerSettings.SetScriptingBackend(BuildTargetGroup.Standalone, ScriptingImplementation.Mono2x);
    12.         status = "Customized To Use Mono";
    13. #endif
    14.         Debug.Log($"Build Configuration - {status}");
    15.     }
    16. }
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

25. bradunity

bradunity

Haze-Games, darthdeus and attaway like this.
  26. marmada

marmada

so... does this work yet?

aFeesh likes this.
  27. aFeesh

aFeesh

I too would like to know when this will work!

28. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Hi. I'm very interested in this as well. May I ask what's the status of IL2CPP builds on UCB?
    - Are Linux / Mac supported for IL2CPP on UCB?
    - I see Windows builds are not supported still in UCB :(
    - When, approximately may we expect this?

Thank you!
    Charles

29. brinca

brinca

I'm still running into this same issue at the end of October 2021, 4 months after the Windows Builders announcement... is there an option somewhere where we choose to opt-in into the windows servers, or at least make sure they are actually being used?

Also, the Mac target is failing for IL2CPP because it requires Xcode 12.2 but 10.15.4 is the one in use.. it would be nice to have an option to choose the Xcode version from a dropdown, like you have for the iOS target.

30. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Hi @brinca -- you can opt in/out of Windows builders in your "Advanced" options in your build config. Also, you should be able to select your Xcode version in "Signing Credentials" -- are you not seeing that?

31. brinca

brinca

I see an option to opt-out of the Windows Builders, but it's the other way around, I want to make sure I *am* using the Windows Builders, so that I can build with IL2CPP on Windows and Linux (which seems to not be possible atm, even though I have "Disable Windows Builders" unchecked in the target's advanced settings).

Regarding the Xcode version, we can choose the Xcode version for iOS builds, but I was referring to MacOS builds, which do not have any "Signing Credentials" tab, nor does it have an Xcode option anywhere I could find.