Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

IL2CPP building times

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sebas77, Dec 6, 2019.

1. sebas77

sebas77

I noticed that building times do not different between consecutive builds. Seems like nothing is cached even if I use a ton of asmdefs.

is there Space for improvement here?

2. mike-voorhees

mike-voorhees

Unity Technologies

il2cpp does cache object files. If you have made zero changes between consecutive builds no C++ files should be compiled on subsequent builds. Note that the conversion C# to C++ will still run no matter what. We are working to improve that in the future.

If you have changes between builds, your mileage will vary. Depending on what you changed, managed code stripping can lead to drastically different output. For simple changes you should see few generated C++ files compiled. For larger changes most generated C++ files may need to be recompiled.

There are some things you can do to optimize il2cpp build times. Take a look to ensure you've followed these tips https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/IL2CPP-OptimizingBuildTimes.html

-Mike

3. sebas77

sebas77

once I am back to this, I will measure the time and send you some feedback. Something is definitively wrong (the advice have been followed)