Search Unity

il2cpp breaks native code plugins by moving all files into a single folder

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zenix, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Zenix

Zenix

We have native code files living inside the Assets folder, which get compiled automatically when doing a build in Unity. These code files are spread throughout a number of subfolders, but when using il2cpp to compile the project, Unity copies all of these files into a single output directory - namely the il2cppOutput folder. This means that any includes that reference a file in a different folder are now broken.

eg. If you had:

Assets/MyPlugin/Code/MyFile.c
    Assets/MyPlugin/Code/Includes/MyFile.h

Where MyFile.c has the line "#include <Includes/MyFile.h>"

Unity will copy the two files to both live in the one folder, so you end up with:
    il2cppOutput/MyFile.c
    il2cppOutput/MyFile.h

So now the include line is broken.

Has anyone found a nice workaround for this? In my particular situation I'm using a 3rd party plugin comprising of a couple hundred code files, so restructuring it to all live in the one folder would be a real hassle.
    Surely there's a way to tell Unity to not break the folder structure?

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I don't think there is a work around for this, or even a way to indicate that Unity should not copy those files and IL2CPP try to compile them.

The "loose" C++ source file feature is kind of a simple system intended to help with native plugin code on platforms where compilation of C++ source files can be complex, like WebGL.

Instead, I would recommend compilation of the native plugins outside of Unity, where you can have access to a proper C++ build system. Then add the compiled native plugin libraries to the Unity project.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Zenix

Zenix

We were having issues with using pre-built libraries in Unity - which is why we're switching to compiling from source. It's also recommended in the Unity documentation for performance reasons. It also just makes sense... we're compiling a cpp project, so why not compile all cpp code together?

I feel like you may have misunderstood my post - I'm wasn't asking for those files to _not_ be copied, I want them to be copied, but to maintain their folder structure so includes don't break.

This issue only happens on PC - it doesn't happen when using il2cpp for iOS - in that situation the folder structure is maintained.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, the way the build code work for iOS is pretty different from, other platforms in this respect. I don't think the build for for the standalone Windows player or other platforms was ever intended to preserve the directory structure.

If you would like to submit a bug report, we can have a look at this, but I think it is working as intended. The C++ build support was always planned to be pretty rudimentary, so I don't expect that we will support maintaining the directory structure soon.

5. Zenix

Zenix

I will submit a bug report, as it would be a simple fix and I'm sure would help out a lot of people.

If this system is really not that well supported, then it might be a good idea to update the documentation to reflect that.

By creating a documentation page for this feature, that points out the benefits of compile time errors and a significant performance increase, it really feels like this is the way you're pushing for people to do things.

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the bug report, we will investigate this.